Estate Sale Foreign Currency

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy all of your posts, I finally have one to add.
I went to a local estate sale today, plenty of evidence there was coins/currency collection, I asked and nothing for sale, there was a small cubbie hole with books on the shelves, I spy a book on US currency, I happen to recently started collecting US currency, so I grabbed the book for $1 buck.
After I got it home and leafing through it, I found 7 total foreign bills wedged in the pages, 3 are duplicates.
I'm not sure of value, and don't really care, I just love the unexpected find, If it was older US gold certificates I would have passed out....

Happy Hunting, Bob M.

Money (1).jpg Money (2).jpg Money (3).jpg Money (4).jpg Money (5).jpg

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought out of curiosity. If you were to return the bills do you think that you could convince them to sell you some of the coins.

OP
OP
BobM

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought out of curiosity. If you were to return the bills do you think that you could convince them to sell you some of the coins.

There was no coins left when I went, it was the last day of the sale, ran by a third party estate sale company.
I got a bank bag marked Detroit, and my wife bought a book with the 22 carat stamps made of gold foil for a $1. with a melt value of .25 cents

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
A few years ago, a well dressed lady went into one of our Big Banks here and handed over a stack of German Marks (the bank had an international currency exchange). She got $40,000.00 US for them, and the bank later found out they were pre-war German Marks and worthless. This was done before our strict currency regs were in place and any ID she gave them was fake. She had picked out the newest teller in exchange department, for obvious reasons.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago, a well dressed lady went into one of our Big Banks here and handed over a stack of German Marks (the bank had an international currency exchange). She got $40,000.00 US for them, and the bank later found out they were pre-war German Marks and worthless. This was done before our strict currency regs were in place and any ID she gave them was fake. She had picked out the newest teller in exchange department, for obvious reasons.

Had to have been quite a few years ago. They stopped using these in 2002.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about this story:

An Australian came (cirumstances how he did not reveal) in possesion of several hundereds marks. Catch is it was EASTERN german marks which were unoffically only worth 1/4 to 1/5.
Since Deutschmarks were welcome around the globe he took them on vacation and according to his own testimony his mates and hisself had a the party of thair lifes in Bangkok / Soi Cowboy (do not google at work :-))

I dont know if its true but at least he told the story personally.

Greets Namxat

Thecoinpicker

Greenie
Nov 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.allnumis.com/banknotes-...no-sovetsko-respublik/50-000-rubles-1921-6587

Top left pic:. Germany 100000 Marks
Obverse: Portrait of the Merchant Georg Gisze, 1532 by Hans Holbein der Jüngere (Hans Holbein the Younger) (c.1497-1543)
Don....

That sounds very odd. When I worked at a bank more than 15 years ago, I remember that the cash cage teller who deals with foreign exchange had a huge currency reference book that was updated yearly. It had colour pictures of all international currency and security features. She could not simply go by the customer’s word or info. Plus, customer would need an account to exchange so any funny business, they could flag their account and contact them. Even currency exchange places other than banks were careful. Then again, I am in Canada and banks are more conservative than American banks. Deposit/Lending ratio here is 1:20 vs USA 1:60.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
At the beginning of the year, I bought a jar of "foreign currency" at my local GW. (I saw some NIS in there that I needed for an upcoming trip.) I ended up taking all the paper money to my bank. It took about 45 mins to go through it all. There were a few rejects (no money from South Africa) and they don't take coins. All in all, I got $260 from the bank for a jar i paid $40 for. Plus, I still had 270 NIS which equaled about $70 in American money.
It's all done on the computer now, but it still takes time, and there was paper work to sign for each currency.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions