estee conaster

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning azdave35. She got it from her own collection and from Karl Von Muller's Collection (Dean Miller). Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
S.T. ("Estee") Conaster also wrote the excellent Journals of El Dorado (1977) cataloging KvonM's (Charles Dean Miller - "Deek Gladson" when he wrote with his wife Gladyce M. Miller) library. I'm sure Karl added some of the opinions.

In my view, the best part of her LDM book is the laid in map.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
S.T. ("Estee") Conaster also wrote the excellent Journals of El Dorado (1977) cataloging KvonM's (Charles Dean Miller - "Deek Gladson" when he wrote with his wife Gladyce M. Miller) library. I'm sure Karl added some of the opinions.

In my view, the best part of her LDM book is the laid in map.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
i figured she got alot of the info from KVM because he wrote the intro for the book...i'm sure she had at least one other source feeding her information too

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello azdave35: I thought you would like to know that Shirley Conaster had in her possession the card catalogues of Dean Miller listing the books he had collected over his lifetime. When Shirley passed away her husband gave me the card catalogues. It consists of 11 drawers of cards. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

TTTeller

Mar 21, 2021
North America/ UK
Primary Interest:
Other
This may be misplaced, but I was actually going to post something later about Estee Conaster. Apologies if not allowed. But I was wondering for anyone that’s interested in Conaster or KVM if this looks familiar to anyone? Will delete if not allowed. 381A01BD-E057-4E2C-81CB-723E10D28BE3.jpeg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
azdave35:

A TN member was kind enough to email me Doug Stewart's excellent on-line bibliography Tale of the Lost Dutchman.

I looked up the entry for Conaster's book (because the section of the bibliography on maps doesn't mention the nice one in this book) and I learned that when Gem Guides reprinted this book, they left out the annotated bibliography!

If you don't have one of the first two RAM printings, your copy doesn't have her sources.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
azdave35:

A TN member was kind enough to email me Doug Stewart's excellent on-line bibliography Tale of the Lost Dutchman.

I looked up the entry for Conaster's book (because the section of the bibliography on maps doesn't mention the nice one in this book) and I learned that when Gem Guides reprinted this book, they left out the annotated bibliography!

If you don't have one of the first two RAM printings, your copy doesn't have her sources.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
the early editions had a fold out map too

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
azdave35:

All the Gem Guide editions I've seen have the laid-in map.

As I wrote above, I think that's the best part of the book.

I am a lifelong collector of "treasure maps" since my Mother purchased a copy of Ladd's bibliography (2nd edition) from the SoD. I'm proud my little wreck chart made it to the 3rd edition. At this point I must have a couple of hundred "commercial" treasure maps and charts.

A bibliography is one of many "retirement projects." But first I have to retire...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently picked up one of the newer editions...7th revised printing from 2002. Has the map, no sources. I don't know if it was just "New-Old stock", or if it was really the most recent printing. According to Doug's website, it is...but I don't think he's updated it lately as Thomas Glover's most recent book isn't listed.

I've stopped collecting these books...really...

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
PBJ:

I wonder how many of those printings are really "revised." I certainly haven't lined them up and compared them.

Ole Barney Bernard put out a "new edition" every year for many years - but, if memory serves, he stopped actually updating them around 1964. [How many times have I seen his little book offered for sale as a "signed" edition? More than I can count!]

"Revised" just sounds a whole lot better than "reprinted."

As for stopping collecting these books - my wife assures me we ran out of room a long time ago...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
PBJ:

I wonder how many of those printings are really "revised." I certainly haven't lined them up and compared them.

Ole Barney Bernard put out a "new edition" every year for many years - but, if memory serves, he stopped actually updating them around 1964. [How many times have I seen his little book offered for sale as a "signed" edition? More than I can count!]

"Revised" just sounds a whole lot better than "reprinted."

As for stopping collecting these books - my wife assures me we ran out of room a long time ago...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
1964...that's probably about the time barney died

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azdave35:

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Here is the '72 edition of the book. Register or log in and borrow it.
https://archive.org/details/sterlinglegendth00cona

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be misplaced, but I was actually going to post something later about Estee Conaster. Apologies if not allowed. But I was wondering for anyone that’s interested in Conaster or KVM if this looks familiar to anyone? Will delete if not allowed. View attachment 1916968

Can you describe what this is?

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had to take a wild-a$& guess, I would say it's an aerial image of the Miner's Needle area, while the sun was low on the horizon. Quality is so bad, kinda looks like a satellite radar image from the '60's:laughing7: but I doubt they had access to that...probably just reproduced a time or two so there's not much mid-range contrast...

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a picture of an old woman with a head scarf?

Perhaps S.T. ???

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello azdave35: I thought you would like to know that Shirley Conaster had in her possession the card catalogues of Dean Miller listing the books he had collected over his lifetime. When Shirley passed away her husband gave me the card catalogues. It consists of 11 drawers of cards. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hi, Greg. I don't know why for sure, but I was under the impression that Shirley Conaster was KVM's daughter. Do you know one way or the other?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions