esx devs spes nostra? what is this?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
WELCOME! I had to jump on this because I had the same question just over a year ago, so I googled "es devs spes nostra" and thats how I found this site. Stick around, you'll love it! I've attached a photo and a link to the original question which led me to this site. -Ben http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,4277.0.html

Attachments

• index3.php.jpg
    index3.php.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 5,562
Upvote 0

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEVS = God
ES = Is
SPES = Hope
NOSTRA = Our

= "GOD IS HOPE OUR."

(Or, the way the words would be arranged in English: "God Is Our Hope").

NHB, that's an interesting tale of how that other button was found!

Upvote 0

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I dug one of these buttons just the other day (Saturday 1-7-06) in the front yard of a house built in 1890 in Colorado Springs.

My research on-line gives the following:

These buttons were worn by Hessian soldiers used as mercenaries by the British during the Revolutionary War. Modern reproductions exist.

From http://www.virrob.home.dixie-net.com/whatisit.html :

From an article in Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, February 1996,
"Once again we hit paydirt. I retrieved a button made of brass, the face of the button bore the image of a three legged eagle and around the rim were the words Es Devs Spes Nostra. Having as a friend a priest who speaks Latin really helped. He later told me that the words in English meant " God Is Our Hope." Further research reveled that the eagle is a Teutonic eagle. The button may have come of a Hessian soldier, mercenaries used by the British during the Revolutionary War. However, modern "blazer buttons of this type are often found"

From http://www.nevadasurveyor.com/button.htm :

"Investigators looking into the discovery of human skeletal remains in rural Tillamook County last week hope that buttons found in the area will help lead to an identification of the individual.

On October 20, 2004, an elk hunter reported the discovery to law enforcement authorities. The unidentified partial skeletal remains were located in a wooded area off Highway 26 near milepost 30.5 near Section 10 Road. A search of the area with the assistance of Oregon State Police Crime Lab personnel and 38 recruit officers from the State Police Recruit School located the remains, including the skull and lower jaw with teeth present. This should allow investigators to compare dental records in their attempt to confirm the identity.

On the front of the found buttons is the image of a 3-legged eagle surrounded around the rim with the words "ES DEVS SPES NOSTRA". Research reveals the origin is Latin and means, "GOD IS OUR HOPE". The buttons may be a reproduction / remake of buttons worn by Hessian soldiers during the Revolutionary War."

An identical button is currently for sale on eBay with no takers at 99?. http://cgi.ebay.com/METAL-BUTTON-DE...ryZ41195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I seriously doubt many Hessian soldiers made it to Colorado after the Revolutionary War and Colorado Springs was not founded until almost 100 years later (1872) so I suspect my button is a reproduction. It is still a cool and very attractive find.

Attachments

• \'Nostra Es Devs Spes\' Button.jpg
    \'Nostra Es Devs Spes\' Button.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 30,892
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For the record: It's a modern (20th century) blazer / fashion button made for use on sport coats, jackets, sweaters, etc. The bird, usually depicted with three legs (or a tail that looks like a third leg), is often described as a Teutonic eagle. The motto Spes Nostra Es Deus is Latin for, "God is our hope." Blazer buttons frequently feature antique-looking designs or crests, and Latin or pseudo-Latin mottoes.

This has often been misidentified as a Revolutionary War Hessian military button.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....opic,98678.msg712949.html#msg712949

Attachments

• button nostra bird.jpg
    button nostra bird.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 29,689
Upvote 0

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool i just found 1 ..but its the size of a 1/2 $ ..it was a pin or something

Upvote 0

just4today

Mar 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a similar button that measures 3/4". Of all places I found it in my kitchen junk drawer and don't ever recall seeing it before. Have no idea how it got there unless I found it outside and put it there. I obviously has been outside for awhile because the backside has surface rust and is a different material from the front. The button otherwise is in good condition. How can one determine if it is an old button or a newer one? Any value? I have added a pix Button1.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread