Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone may have a different opinion, but at the price of gas today and a round trip of 180 miles I would tell them $40 to cover the gas and $20.00 an hour to search, their choice on how long you search. It is hot and humid outside now and you are in La.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How many hours (maybe days) of searching do you estimate it will take to MD a 1/4 mile strip of highway green area (within a throws distane from the highway)? What is the description/value of the ring? Do have a pic of the target?
Many questions to answer before I would make any offer to search.
Don........

OP
OP

1RAGINCAJUN

Nov 29, 2008
Lafayette, La.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many hours (maybe days) of searching do you estimate it will take to MD a 1/4 mile strip of highway green area (within a throws distane from the highway)? What is the description/value of the ring? Do have a pic of the target?
Many questions to answer before I would make any offer to search.
Don........
I'm waiting on a pic of the target. No idea how long it would take, however my Nox 800 battery will last 12hrs. There are so many variables though, due to time, grass mowing, floods etc.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting on a pic of the target. No idea how long it would take, however my Nox 800 battery will last 12hrs. There are so many variables though, due to time, grass mowing, floods etc.
My opinion for what is worth, is that your chances of finding are slim to none. That is a large stretch to search with much trash and a lot of years since lost. And memories can be misleading over long periods of time. Looks like this could lead to some hard feelings if you charge them by the hour and turn up nothing. Which is likely. But maybe good friends and all will be good. I wish you the best and good luck. I hope you find in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1RAGINCAJUN

Nov 29, 2008
Lafayette, La.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion for what is worth, is that your chances of finding are slim to none. That is a large stretch to search with much trash and a lot of years since lost. And memories can be misleading over long periods of time. Looks like this could lead to some hard feelings if you charge them by the hour and turn up nothing. Which is likely. But maybe good friends and all will be good. I wish you the best and good luck.
I agree with you, that is definitely a possibility and given the fact she said when she threw it, she had one too many margaritas.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you, that is definitely a possibility and given the fact she said when she threw it, she had one too many margaritas.
I still wish you the best. And if you find it, go and buy a lottery ticket as fast as you can. Extremely lucky day.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of all the can slaw from 15 years of mowing , shoulder work to include added gravel and motor grading , grass a foot deep when you arrive , heat , bugs , traffic dangers, fuel cost lots of time spent ALL= too much money to even consider. a person who is not a detectorist is clueless on what it's gonna take just to TRY to find it.

OP
OP

1RAGINCAJUN

Nov 29, 2008
Lafayette, La.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of all the can slaw from 15 years of mowing , shoulder work to include added gravel and motor grading , grass a foot deep when you arrive , heat , bugs , traffic dangers, fuel cost lots of time spent ALL= too much money to even consider. a person who is not a detectorist is clueless on what it's gonna take just to TRY to find it.
True

OP
OP

1RAGINCAJUN

Nov 29, 2008
Lafayette, La.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is NOT an ethics question. You have the option (and right) to charge her whatever you believe is reasonable... or nothing at all. She will accept your price or not. Her choice. 15 years. It's still there. And will be until she decides to pay your price. ╦╦C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be one of those situations where discretion is the better part of Valor. Given all the variables and the distance. I,d try to find a MDer closer to her and if OK with that Mder,recommend she contact him or her. Or get in touch with Ring finders,they do this all the time.Just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread