cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you trying to find and where will you be hunting? Do you need waterproof or not?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone buy an etrac over the equinox???

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each machine is different. It is going to depend on what you want to do with it.

OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know was just a question, I ordered the 800...just waiting for the shipment.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There could be many reasons. Once we know for sure the capabilities of the Nox, we'll be better able to answer that question. One reason would be if you already have lots of coils from your Explorer or Safari to use on the E-trac. Not much in the way of accessories or aftermarket parts yet for the NOX. Reliability and quality are also an unknown with the NOX until they're in the field a lot longer. The E-trac is a proven winner in those respects.

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw the equinox for over 1000 on ebay this morning. People over biding. When this ever excited market gets over it i will get the 600 just for beach detecting. I will use it once every 10 yrs

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the ETrac over the 600 because the battery doe snot come out of the machine in the 600, I don't like to recharge things, like my phone, I forget all the time, just a preference

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the ETrac over the 600 because the battery doe snot come out of the machine in the 600, I don't like to recharge things, like my phone, I forget all the time, just a preference

I'm afraid that makes no sense to me. You can add a fresh battery to the Equinox too, if you forget to charge the internal one. I carry one with me (like I also do with my Etrac) just in case the internal battery goes dead for whatever reason. Seems like a strange reason to buy or not buy a detector since both can take a replacement battery, just a different type.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know was just a question, I ordered the 800...just waiting for the shipment.
If you like digging all the trash the 800 is the machine.
I sold mine and still have the Etrac.
The best machine for silver coins and gold rings.
I go from coin mode to all metal and it helps me to decide if it's a good target or junk

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Because we prefer digging silver, not iron. Just saying.
Because we prefer our choice of after market coils. Just saying.
Because we would rather not need to buy an after market shaft and worry about the coil ears, because they are flimsy on the Nox. Just saying.

As others have said, it depends what your are looking for and where you are hunting. I hear the Nox is really good at finding nickels. I suppose if you want to find nickels, the Nox may be your machine.

For me, I like hunting huge fields and hunted out parks. This indicates a huge coil and tuning the machine to give you a clue if a deep target is iron. The E-Trac allows me to choose any coil I want, and not worry about the coil ears breaking, as mountains of Nox users have reported when using the only large coil they are permitted by Minelab. Moreover, the E-Trac has settings that allow you a pretty good chance at figuring out if a deep target is likely to be iron very quickly. As far as I can tell, my Nox does not have these settings, and deep iron sounds like deep silver, at least to me. Online videos show all the hoops Nox users use to determine if a target is iron; if you time these swing this way and that way and change all the settings, it is just faster to dig. Problem is I'm old and can't dig every target.

I don't know your situation. Best advice, if you have the budget, is use both machines in your situation, and make the determination yourself. That is what I have done, and I am sticking with the E-Trac, using the Nox in only very specialized situations, like very trashy ground around old farmhouses, where the good targets will be shallow, and the Nox's improved separation will give a slight advantage over the competition.

YMMV of course.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm interested in this very old thread. I hope the tone gets more positive, though; in my opinion there have been some borderline harsh/sarcastic responses here. Maybe you aren't trying to make someone feel stupid, but I think that the way some are responding comes across as condescending. Just saying.

..using the Nox in only very specialized situations, like very trashy ground around old farmhouses, where the good targets will be shallow, and the Nox's improved separation will give a slight advantage over the competition.

Anyway, I'm interested in this thread because I'm curious about the "next step up" from my Equinox. I've been pretty happy with the Equinox - especially in the specialized situations that malenkai mentions. But I've noticed that I'm not finding many deep targets with the Nox. And that surprises me, because I'm hunting some fantastic locations in my old town and there should be old stuff - but I'm not finding it. The only really old stuff I've found (KG1, KG3, Large Cents) have been in a farm field where the farmer's plowing moves them around in the dirt.
If I have access to some places where I suspect there may be good targets at 12" (old coppers, maybe old silver) and I want to figure out how to recover them, I'd appreciate it if you'd share your thoughts on 3 different options I'm considering:
1. learn to tune the settings on the Equinox 800 for depth. (This seems like a no brainer to try since it costs $0.00. But it may not work)
2. Evaluate the ETrac. From what you've been saying it seems to go deeper. But I also read that recovery speed is slow, and you mention the Equinox's separation as a slight advantage.
3. Evaluate the XP Deus. From what I've read people seem to really like this machine for its recovery speed + discrimination + depth.

I look forward to your feedback.

- Brian

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

one legitimate reason...
As of now, there are very few sizes of coils available for the Equinox, and only one brand.
MANY different size and brand coils are available for the E-Trac

Bought the E-Trac 10 years ago. Bought the 800 just 2 weeks ago after much story reading/research, and it being light and waterproof would be an advantage in some situations. Looking forward to its first hunt.
Glad to have both. More tools in the tool box is good.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't know about Etrac, but selling my 800 that I had for 3 years. I hunt in really trashy Atlanta urban areas for both CW relics and coins. Not fun with an 800. I am buying a CTX3030 for better target ID abilities and deeper coins and CW bullets. At least that is the plan. Will let you know in a couple of month how the plan worked out.

Kevvorush

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2021
I love the e-trac. It doesn’t seem slow at all to me and is capable of so many different settings if you take the time to avail yourself of them. Since learning the machine I’ve eliminated digging so much junk it’s been a pleasure to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread