Ever call a nonpaying buyer?

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, I'm sick and tired of nonpaying buyers. I've got 1 low feedback buyer right now that has bought 2 separate items on 2 separate occasions and hasn't paid for either. I've got a good mind to call them and see what the problem is or where the disconnect is. Has anyone ever called a nonpaying buyer? How did they react? Was it a waste of time?

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, I'm sick and tired of nonpaying buyers. I've got 1 low feedback buyer right now that has bought 2 separate items on 2 separate occasions and hasn't paid for either. I've got a good mind to call them and see what the problem is or where the disconnect is. Has anyone ever called a nonpaying buyer? How did they react? Was it a waste of time?
I never have. Been selling there since 1998 with a current feedback rating of 13,463. I rarely get nonpaying bidders, but when I do I put them on my block list and never deal with them again. For myself, I don't think it worth the aggravation to do anything else. I just resell the item.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I just get sick and tired of it, but it's part of Ecommerce unfortunately. I kind of hated to give the one low feedback buyer 2 separate strikes for the 2 separate listings, but honestly, the strikes probably mean nothing anymore, or probably never did to begin with. :(

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I just get sick and tired of it, but it's part of Ecommerce unfortunately. I kind of hated to give the one low feedback buyer 2 separate strikes for the 2 separate listings, but honestly, the strikes probably mean nothing anymore, or probably never did to begin with. :(
They used to, not sure how they play out now. One thing that you can adjust in your seller hub is make a minimum positive feedback requirement to bid on or buy your items.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just block and move on. You don't want to get turned in to Ebay for harassment. If you use "Buy It Now" you get immediate payment without the hassle of non-paying customers.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also use buy it now only. Make an offer is where I run into the nonpayers, but, I sell so much through make an offer I can't cut it off. Just part of it
This is coming from a someone that has no knowledge in the E-commerce selling (except local platforms)
I thought a person was protected from non-paying party's.
Something like "When I get $$$-you get it shipped"
I guess my trust level in business is zero-none, from being self employed most of my life.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is coming from a someone that has no knowledge in the E-commerce selling (except local platforms)
I thought a person was protected from non-paying party's.
Something like "When I get $$$-you get it shipped"
I guess my trust level in business is zero-none, from being self employed most of my life.
Yeah most eBay sellers do not ship until paid. The problem can be that someone "buys" an item and never pays. You still have the item, but have to invest the time and sometimes expense to resell it. It was worse when it was all auction format, because the second highest bidder usually backed out if you offered it to them at their lower price.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah most eBay sellers do not ship until paid. The problem can be that someone "buys" an item and never pays. You still have the item, but have to invest the time and sometimes expense to resell it. It was worse when it was all auction format, because the second highest bidder usually backed out if you offered it to them at their lower price.
The world never considers one's time-only their time it seems.
Selling online is a time sucker with the Q&A portion.
1 door was 94 texts 47 Q&A's :censored::BangHead:
But one must not bite the......:hello:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, even if you were to succeed in getting them to pay, they've sent up so many red flags as to their character, it will result in chargebacks, returns, false claims of not receiving it or it arriving damaged and of course, the negative feedback you will invariably receive. If it expires without them paying, they can't leave you any feedback which is good for you. Once they pay you, they'll make YOU PAY! lol....

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called a guy one time. He played dumb and seemed surprised he was the highest bidder. He paid about 3 days later if I recall.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called a guy one time. He played dumb and seemed surprised he was the highest bidder. He paid about 3 days later if I recall.
That's kind of what I was thinking there would be the possibility that they didn't realize I accepted their offer. But, is it worth the risk of getting a loser who will pay and then cause trouble as mentioned above? Probably not.

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't call, just make sure the unpaid item cases close after the 4 days so you get your fees back and they get the UPI strikes. The Unpaid Item cases can be set to automatically close or set to where you have to do it manually.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't call, just make sure the unpaid item cases close after the 4 days so you get your fees back and they get the UPI strikes. The Unpaid Item cases can be set to automatically close or set to where you have to do it manually.
They actually got rid of the cases all together, now you just cancel it and select buyer hasn't paid as the issue and they cancel it immediately.

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They actually got rid of the cases all together, now you just cancel it and select buyer hasn't paid as the issue and they cancel it immediately.
Correct, note that you still have to wait the full 96 hours. And you can set it to cancel automatically or to do it manually if you want.

Treasure Hunting NM

Sep 10, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just block and move on. You don't want to get turned in to Ebay for harassment. If you use "Buy It Now" you get immediate payment without the hassle of non-paying customers.
Right. That doesn't work either. I just had a buyer claim an item was damaged when it was mint when I sent it so I told them to return it for a refund and instead they sent junk back so they could keep the item for free. They claimed it was damaged but all the pictures are blurry so you can't see anything wrong with the item. I blocked them and the item was only $29.99 buy it now so I'm not sweating it. Not worth the hassle. I've sold lots of sportscards such as a Mike Trout Bowman Sterling autograph rookie card for $3000 which were the things that scared me to ship. It seems a lot of the thieves on there go after cheaper items thankfully because they can't pay for the expensive items to RIP people off for. I have been averaging around $9000 a month in sales so $29.99 isn't going to kill me.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. That doesn't work either. I just had a buyer claim an item was damaged when it was mint when I sent it so I told them to return it for a refund and instead they sent junk back so they could keep the item for free. They claimed it was damaged but all the pictures are blurry so you can't see anything wrong with the item. I blocked them and the item was only $29.99 buy it now so I'm not sweating it. Not worth the hassle. I've sold lots of sportscards such as a Mike Trout Bowman Sterling autograph rookie card for $3000 which were the things that scared me to ship. It seems a lot of the thieves on there go after cheaper items thankfully because they can't pay for the expensive items to RIP people off for. I have been averaging around $9000 a month in sales so $29.99 isn't going to kill me.
Yeah, exactly. Just got to count the small ones as cost of doing business. I went through the SNAD case with a buyer a little while back when it was clearly described. Had 4 or 5 different eBay reps tell me I was covered and the buyer was clearly abusing returns, and then of course I lost the case. All just a pain, but part of it I guess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread