Ever get thrown off a propert while detecting?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one this has happened too? Or have any of you also got thrown off property? I was detecting in Kentucky and I got thrown off a property. The old timer was angry and said what the hell you doin? You trying to steal my lightning?!!! I said no sir just detecting. And he kept saying I was after his lightning. Crazy I tell you and ran me off with his 3 sons. The one walked up to me and smelt my face it was scary. And weird. What's your experience or story? Please share.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Were you on private property without permission ? Sounds like you got too close to a stash of shine. The fact that one of them smelled your breath reinforces that theory. You're lucky to be here posting about it. I've never been thrown off any property because I always find out who owns it and if I can't get permission I don't go there. Sounds like you're the one who's crazy. Those old hillbillies will mess you up if you're caught in the wrong place.

Attachments

• 1002738_532639076801434_387003196_n.jpg
    1002738_532639076801434_387003196_n.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, he's protectin' his white lightning! If you were on private property without permission, you deserve to be thrown off.....and lucky that's all that happened to you.

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
Years ago my and my buddy would go to nearby towns with many Victorian houses and go door to door getting permission to detect their yard. We did very well by the way. I wouldn't do this any more, but 20 years ago people were pretty friendly. Anyway a lady says sure, go ahead. About an hour later when the husband came home, he had different ideas and gave us the boot. The same thing has happened hunting arrowheads. The wife says fine, but when the husband comes home, not so good. Yes, I tell them that the Mrs. gave us the OK, but that doesn't console them too much. I wonder if the Mrs. gets chewed out also.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Did ya smell him back? They was just sayin howdy to ya-- next time smell him back and talk with a horribly fast hillbilly accent to gain approval! Lol keep swinging man don't let one or three in breeders keep ya down!

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was civil war relic hunting once and took a "new" friend to a site. I had permission of course and was swinging away. The next thing I know, I looked up and saw my friend walking thru a freshly planted field. Next thing I saw was the owner heading straight towards us yelling about how "we" were tromping on his freshly planted corn. Asked, no, told to leave immediately and told not to come back. No longer ask that "friend" to go along.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of. Was detecting a large public park which is usually ok, getting a lot of metal signals, got to the other entrance to the park which had a sign "no electronic devices". Whoops! High tailed it out pronto! Seems this particular park they used ash and stuff from the old trash burning furnace for land fill! No sign was posted at the entrance I went in. Now there aren't any signs at either entrance. ???

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 70s, my girlfriend, a hunting buddy, and myself decided an old convent nearby looked like a great place to hunt. We drove up, parked and found an elderly nun (Sister Barbara) walking around the grounds nearby. We asked her if we could hunt there (of course had to explain MDs, not many used back then) and she said she thought it was a wonderful thing for young folks to do (we were in our early 20s back then) and said go right ahead. She watched us for a little while, once remarking that she remembered the "buffalo bill" nickels were were finding. We hunted for about 45 minutes with a couple other nuns nearby, and were finding all pre-WW2 coinage, a lot of it silver and having a great day. Suddenly this enormous nun, face flushed red with anger comes over and bellows out "what do you think you're doing!!!" We said we had asked permission and the kind Sister Barbara had told us it was alright. She angrily replied that she was the Mother Superior and that Sister Barbara was a senile old lady who had no authority to grant us permission to do anything. When we plead our case that we were just enjoying our hobby, not hurting anybody, and picking up all the litter we came across she just snorted and said "GET OUT!!. We complied and never went back It's now forty years later and they are tearing down the old convent. We always wondered if anybody else got in there back then or in later years. Two of us will try again in the spring, but the place may well be trashed with debris from the destruction of the beautiful old buildings from the 1800s.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what I have read it sounds like you were hunting on private property without permission. Remember even vacant lots belong to somebody. The only places that I know of to hunt without permission are schools and parks. And in some states those are restricted. Here in my area I can hunt any park and school as long as they are not state parks or on Historic Registry. I truely hope you do not hunt property without permission as that gives our hobby a bad name. If you are new please research before hunting. If you don't know if it is ok to hunt a site then I would wait until you know for sure. You must 100% for sure know that it is ok to hunt a site before turning on your machine. I have read several stories where people have been arrested and fined over $10,000 for hunting illegally. And they deserve it.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once was detecting on some land and the owner said take what ever you want,after an hour I came back to get a better shovel out of my truck and he asked what I had found.So I empty my pockets and had about $5 in old coins(1920's-1940's).He then changed his mind and said how about 50-50,and I said how about 80-20,which he then replied,how about 95-5.So I gave him all the penny's that I had found .He said that I had to cough up the silver too,so I gave him several dimes and some quarters.but I kept the 2 silver dollars that I slid in my boots and some of the silver quarters.I don't think he relized how much stuff was under his ground.I went back years later,and now there's homes sitting on his land.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only been run off from detecting abandonded homes in the Ghetto, The neighbor told me that HE owned the property, another time the woamn told me HER mom just bought it.

Whats crazy is the 2 people that ran me off, were both in there 60s+....and in the same neighborhoods..there are alot of "Thuggish" type people...and they think its cool as hell im out there metal detecting..they ask me random questions about if my detector can find diamonds and bars of gold..lol..But They are always cool with me being in there hood

Now old timers in the woods of Kentucky?....i wouldnt touch that

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once was detecting on some land and the owner said take what ever you want,after an hour I came back to get a better shovel out of my truck and he asked what I had found.So I empty my pockets and had about $5 in old coins(1920's-1940's).He then changed his mind and said how about 50-50,and I said how about 80-20,which he then replied,how about 95-5.So I gave him all the penny's that I had found .He said that I had to cough up the silver too,so I gave him several dimes and some quarters.but I kept the 2 silver dollars that I slid in my boots and some of the silver quarters.I don't think he relized how much stuff was under his ground.I went back years later,and now there's homes sitting on his land.
Think I would have thrown them all as far as I could and said "On second thought, don't think I want to detect here."

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first day hunting, I went out to an old home site that was in a semi rural area. After about 10 mins. I see somebody approaching from the nearest home on a tractor, He had a child with him and looks at me and says " what do you think your'e doing?" I let him know that I had just purchased my metal detector and was testing it out. I drove by and seen this old lot with no signs or houses around it and figured I'd give it a try. He replied that there has been a lot of people dumping trash in that lot. He seemed upset so before he finished I told him I'd get out of there right away and that was it. I think he was more bothered by people dumping trash than me detecting but it didn't help either. Some people here are real hostile towards fellow hunters, they should school the unexperienced instead of pushing them off a cliff and telling them they're lucky that's all that happened to them.

just live and learn.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fellow who got me hooked on MDing never came across a property that he didn't feel that he was free to hunt. We were run off several
places before I quit hunting with him for this reason. It's just no fun if you have to keep lookin' over your shoulder to make sure no one is comin'!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple at work just purchased a home this past spring. When I first started detecting, I put a flyer up asking people to share any sites with me. The female of this couple came up to me and volunteered the property to me. I thanked her and asked when I could come by. She said she'd ask the guy. Next day she came by and seemed embarrassed and said I should ask him. When I asked, he seemed angry and said he didn't want anyone detecting. I told him no problem and that I had not asked the woman, she volunteered. This seemed to make him angrier, lol. I found out later he was very jealous of her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread