Ever run across a crashed plane in the High Country?

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While the wife and I were hiking, we came upon day old single engine plane crash. Rescuers had already been there but aviation experts had not. So the crash story was all to apparent.

Flying up the canyon by the 4th of July mine site, ran out of altitude and couldn't turn due to the narrowing of the canyon. They crash landed on an up slope, rocky hillside. Pancaked into the ground and the engine landed quite a distance away. Don't know if there were serious injuries but it surely looked like a hard landing.

A couple other times hunting in the high country I came across shiny, sand cleaned plane bodies. From long ago. I believe there over 350 crash site with wreckage remaining in Colorado mountains. They are marked on aviation maps so they don't keep getting reported.

So any of you folks ever run across a wreck site? :)
BB

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I get a link to the aviation map showing the locations?

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the Google map.
BB

Attachments

• crash_01.jpg
    crash_01.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 475

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't run across it, but I intentionally went up to the WSU crash site over by the tunnel last summer. Some Oklahoma folks were lost there, one of them we knew of back when I was in High School, so I felt obligated to run up there. Lots of wreckage still left, and some of the bodies were never recovered due to a terrific fire after the crash. It's a calm, peaceful, pretty place, but a little overwhelming to me. Did they ever recover those missiles from that jet fighter over by Aspen?

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN said:
I didn't run across it, but I intentionally went up to the WSU crash site over by the tunnel last summer. Some Oklahoma folks were lost there, one of them we knew of back when I was in High School, so I felt obligated to run up there. Lots of wreckage still left, and some of the bodies were never recovered due to a terrific fire after the crash. It's a calm, peaceful, pretty place, but a little overwhelming to me. Did they ever recover those missiles from that jet fighter over by Aspen?

I had forgotten all about them. As far as I know they never located them or discovered what actually happened. That would be a surprising find.

A fellow I worked with also crashed and both he and his wife were killed. Tail Number N2424G, Pagosa Springs, CO May 2, 1999. He was a very experienced pilot with 2,520 flying hours, but mountain flying is always dangerous. Just run out of options sometimes.
BB

oldnugget

Feb 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no airplanes.. just a couple of flying saucers... not much left of em...lol

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
no airplanes.. just a couple of flying saucers... not much left of em...lol

________________________________________________________________________________________

Did ya take a picture of em ? Never know .. might be worth something !LOL

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weve been looking for the B24 that crashed in Taylor Canyon in 1945. It's supposed to be near mile marker 15 but we havent found it yet.
I read that there was interpretive signage marking the site but it could have been taken down years ago.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
the best story ive every heard was about two guys that work out of edwards air force base that detect x-plane crashes.they found a red stone out of a ring on the ground.at a later date they happen to meet one of the plots wife,s.her show them a ring that she wore.they said you mite want what we found.it was along time ago so all my facts my not be dead on ,but i loved the story.
brad

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a little info on that A-10 that went down on Gold Dust Peak they never did find the 4 500 pound bombs it was carrying.They had a seal team come in to dive the lakes for about a month surrounding the area of the crash they flew out of Eagle Colorado there is a high altitude training facility there.I also now they flew and SR-71 out of Beale California for about a week looking for the crash and the bombs when they could not locate them but they could not find them still a big mystery as to what happened to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread