Ever seen one of these?

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
It appears to be a pendant,probably hand made and worn by someone.I hope someone with western indian experience can help you with its provenance.A very interesting find.

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Interesting Find...
When I first looked at it I thought it might have been one of those things they used to use to grind corn in a bowl, but being only 2.5" long, it don't seem likely...
Definitely looks to be old, hope you figure it out.....
Keep us posted....
Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Diggum, are you positive it's lead? Early period adornments, ie IA Pendants or Ceremonial decoration are not typically made from lead, yet anything made for working purpose would also probably not be made of lead and rarely have been inlaid with MOP. That is some neat find though regardless of what it is, I will try to send the picture to a friend who is an archeollogist if you can confirm the material it's made from. Nice find! Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jmh

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
Positive it is lead. Also upon closer observation , have discovered a hole running length- ways thru the object. Could this have been a weight on a curtain pull cord?

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jmh said:
Could this be a fishing weight of some kind?
I don't know but I could definitely make a fishing lure out of it.Paint the thing,Attach an 8" rubber skirt,run a piece of wire leader(or mono)with a rigged ballyhoo and your all set!Of course I don't know how much good a saltwater trolling lure in OK.would do.It's got me baffled.Where's buckram?Looks like a good "what's it?"for him.

Upvote 0

bassasasin

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2004
Re: Ever seen one of these... Yep Fishing weight thing..

Yah.. you slip your line (usually wire stainless) down the center and tie on a big hook.. Tuna like these...
The rings hold the skirt.. usualy the skirt is laid forward and when tied that way it flairs out when inverted..

Not old at all .. the crome has oxidized off..

Fun but.. junk.. heh..

Dan

Upvote 0
D

DanInMA

Here's One

Found this at bulldozed pre-CW house site. Others in my club have found them too. No one knows what they are. Mine is not as ornate as yours, but is cast lead and also has a hole (3/8") drilled through center of flanged end. Other end seems to be crimped--whether it was made this way or not I don't know. Seems too small to be a window weight. I was thinking maybe a weird plumb bob? Got me stumped, too. Best, Dan

Attachments

• PC130025.JPG
    PC130025.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DanInMA said:
Found this at bulldozed pre-CW house site. Others in my club have found them too. No one knows what they are. Mine is not as ornate as yours, but is cast lead and also has a hole (3/8") drilled through center of flanged end. Other end seems to be crimped--whether it was made this way or not I don't know. Seems too small to be a window weight. I was thinking maybe a weird plumb bob? Got me stumped, too. Best, Dan
Okay ,I can see yours looks old.Yours has a single flange as opposed to a double flange on the orig. post.I doubt it is a plumb-bob,you said yourself others have found them too.It just doesn't seem logical that people discarded or lost that many plumb-bobs back then after building thier houses,does it? ??? Especially wierd looking ones.Also,yours is crimped,have the others you have seen been crimped?Do the others have a hole drilled in them also?Any with inlays? Do the others have a single or double flange,or both? Another difference is the size of the flange on yours is consistent with the main body. On the other one,the flanges are smaller than the main body.Just trying to get a few more pieces of the puzzle. ;)

Upvote 0
D

DanInMA

Sorry--not much is known about others found by club members--just that they saw mine, and said "oh yeah, I've found those, too."
So, presumably they have been lead, torpedo shaped, about 3" long, and with a hole through the middle of a flange. Doubt any had MOP inlay, or that would have been mentioned. The one comment I seem to remember was that they were all found around older home sites too. Wish I could be more help. Thanks, Dan

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one of those things you dig when your out digging things,
and you never will know what it is....
Another interesting trinket for the junk box....

Upvote 0
C

Charles,Oak Island

jmh, yours apperas to be the type item used on curtains.

DanInMA, old houses had window assist (for lack of a proper name) it was a lead weight that had a small rope or cord ran through it and hidden in the window frame, one on each side. Different sizes for smaller/larger windows. Saw some small ones in the washroom window. helped keep the window up when raised. ran a cross several once when dismantling a house built in 1880.

Keep in mind I am not a lawyer and any advise I give can not be held against me. Tiz only my personnel medical opinion of the situation.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread