Excal II Battery Replacement

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everybody. I was hoping maybe someone could help me solve a problem with my machine. I have an Excal II that I bought 7 years ago and it has started to act very strange and unstable lately when I try to use it. The battery is the stock battery that was in it from Minelab when I bought the machine in 2013.

I have always kept it charged to 14.8 volts all the time even when I am not using it and in the closet at home. The threshold will not settle down to a hum and just goes crazy and erratic no matter what the volume is set at. Also it doesn't matter what beach I am on or what conditions I am hunting, using it in Disc or AM. No matter what sensitivity or any other setting that I choose. I have checked the battery output voltage under a load with the the coil plugged back in with my hand held meter after I charge it with the Minelab wall plug charger and it reads apprx 13.99-14 volts. And then after it sits overnight, the reading will fall to 12 volts.

I have a gut feeling that I need a new battery pack, would you please help to confirm this if so. Also, if I do need to replace the battery pack, what do you guys suggest?? I have never had any problems with this detector what so ever, it will hunt its butt off and has constantly amazed me many times on the surf but now I can't make any sense out of what its trying to tell me with all of this insane racket that its making.

Thanks for any, and all advise
Greg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your battery is going bad, Excal will run on 12 volts but once it drops below 12 volts it will start acting up as it needs min 12 volts to run all the circuits on the motherboard..

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. What do you suggest as a replacement pack for it? Should I call Minelab or something else?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, if you haven’t done so already, clean the sand out between the coil and coil cover.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you haven’t done so already, clean the sand out between the coil and coil cover.

Always a good idea to clean coil cover every time used, but sand wouldn't cause the battery voltage to drop from 14 volts to 12 volts over night as described.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a firm believer in the RNB detector batteries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread