excalibur 1000 problem? Solved

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey guys i just got an almost new condition excal from a guy at work who had purchased it but never used it. the problem is the machine works great on dry land but after about 15 minutes in the water it starts freaking out with a continuous tone and wont pick up any thing. i don't know if i have a water leak or a problem with how i have it set up. i bought this machine so me and my 15 year old could detect some of the beaches here in Florida but i cant seem to make it work in the water. if you have any ideas please help. Thanks Bighead

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: excalibur 1000 problem

does it get real Loud ?

Sounds like the Battery.

When it is off it picks up a Little Juice

When on for a Little it runs Back down.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I too think it might be the charge in the battery. Perhaps the charger isn't doing the job or the plain battery pak is shot and won't take a full charge. It is not falsing so it isn't black sand in the cover or water in the coil. If water was in the coil it would do the same thing on land. It is rare for the 1000 to go haywire unlike the Excal II. What ever the problem is you are going to need to send it off to Minelab for repairs as it isn't something you can do yourself.

When you send it off, include the battery charger so they can test that too.

Good Luck, You've got a great detector there.
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BIGHEAD said:
hey guys i just got an almost new condition excal from a guy at work who had purchased it but never used it. the problem is the machine works great on dry land but after about 15 minutes in the water it starts freaking out with a continuous tone and wont pick up any thing. i don't know if i have a water leak or a problem with how i have it set up. i bought this machine so me and my 15 year old could detect some of the beaches here in Florida but i cant seem to make it work in the water. if you have any ideas please help. Thanks Bighead

Bighead, what part of Florida are you in, are you close to Orlando? If so shoot me an IM and we can make arrangements to meet and I will look at it for you......

Jeff and Sandman are correct (as usual), when the battery is low or bad it will start giving a constant tone. Does it do it only when your in the water, in other words does it run for hours with no problem if used on dry land?..... A battery charger or battery will cause this kind of problem and will cause you to think there is something wrong with the excal, when the voltage needed drops below a certain point the excal goes nuts...

If it runs fine on land but goes nuts in the water as soon as it gets in the water could be a couple things. You could have a crack in the coil or a lose connection where cable goes to coil....The coil cable is not designed to be removed by the user.........You could have a crack in the connector that connects to the battery allowing saltwater to get to the battery pins..... Do you put any silicone grease on the connector before you put it on the battery?...... It could be a bad o-ring in the controls or a leak into the controls, you can remove the set screws and open the end to see if any water has got inside. I don't think that is the case, but it could be.....

Let us know, and feel free to IM me if you wish.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, I forgot about the silicone grease in the connector Treasure Hunter.

OP
OP
BIGHEAD

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter said:
BIGHEAD said:

Bighead, what part of Florida are you in, are you close to Orlando? If so shoot me an IM and we can make arrangements to meet and I will look at it for you......

Jeff and Sandman are correct (as usual), when the battery is low or bad it will start giving a constant tone. Does it do it only when your in the water, in other words does it run for hours with no problem if used on dry land?..... A battery charger or battery will cause this kind of problem and will cause you to think there is something wrong with the excal, when the voltage needed drops below a certain point the excal goes nuts...

If it runs fine on land but goes nuts in the water as soon as it gets in the water could be a couple things. You could have a crack in the coil or a lose connection where cable goes to coil....The coil cable is not designed to be removed by the user.........You could have a crack in the connector that connects to the battery allowing saltwater to get to the battery pins..... Do you put any silicone grease on the connector before you put it on the battery?...... It could be a bad o-ring in the controls or a leak into the controls, you can remove the set screws and open the end to see if any water has got inside. I don't think that is the case, but it could be.....

Let us know, and feel free to IM me if you wish.....
Sorry but i live in Pensacola. Thanks for the offer thou!!

OP
OP
BIGHEAD

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey guys thanks for the replies. i did notice after the last time i used it that the battery posts had a small amount of water on them. i don't know if this is common or not as this is a new detector for me and my first Minelab. Thanks Bighead

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BIGHEAD said:
Hey guys thanks for the replies. i did notice after the last time i used it that the battery posts had a small amount of water on them. i don't know if this is common or not as this is a new detector for me and my first Minelab. Thanks Bighead

BH,

It it sounds like water is getting intp your battery connector shorting out the posts, go to a store (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, dive shops) and get some silicone grease (found in plumbing department), put some on the threads of your battery cap that screws on. I recommend you also put a small dab on the top where the battery posts are as well..... You should also check your cap to be sure it doesn't have a small crack on it... See if this helps, if your getting water in your battery connector it will drive it nuts...

Let us know......

rgalan2003

Jun 14, 2005
pachuca mexico
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
deus xp v2.0,cscope 1220xd,yukon compass 77b(automatic and no automatic)nautilus IIB,teknetics mark I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a similar problem and was the coil,I ghanged the coil and my excalibur work very good.
Rafael

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Low Battery warning on the excalibur

I agree with rgalan2003, Coil, coil wire.......

Question, are you deep in the water "excal Pod submerged" or just wet sand, just coil submerged? The test would be to use it in the very shallow, just coil under {no more then} ...and see if it does it after the time alotted, then if it does not , go for the deep....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Sounds like (with your explanation of what you found) that the connection at battery is leaking. As they said get some silicone grease. I find mine at a pool store, it is used for O rings on pool pump. I would get a large tube, so you always have some. Lube the plastic screw threads, and lube the flat rubber part. When you screw it back down, do it tight. But hand tight.

OP
OP
BIGHEAD

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey guys i just got a chance to try out the excal again. I tried your fix with the silicone grease and it worked great!!! I had the machine completely submerged for over two hours in chest deep water with no problems. Thanks for the help, maybe now i can work on figuring it out.
THANKS!!!!! :thumbsup: BIGHEAD

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BIGHEAD said:
Hey guys i just got a chance to try out the excal again. I tried your fix with the silicone grease and it worked great!!! I had the machine completely submerged for over two hours in chest deep water with no problems. Thanks for the help, maybe now i can work on figuring it out.
THANKS!!!!! :thumbsup: BIGHEAD

Glad to hear it worked, I had the same problem a few years ago and it fixed the problem for me as well....

Kudos to Sandman for telling me about the fix...... :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you got it fixed up. Sometimes it is the simplest things that we don't think of and help comes from those that have had the problem before............ :coffee2:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Call TH and Sandman...a learning experence....................thanks

Top Member Reactions