Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one would that be > ?
"Hope you find enough to buy another one as a backup... and for repairs of both. "
Kind of a strange way of approaching a hobby (since my others don't have this type of payback) but as soon as I hit what I think would have paid off the detectors I breathe a little easier. Justifies not getting new tires for the car or something like that.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I’ve seen and heard it is deeper than the stock Excal.

I have watched several videos on Tube... it does hit deep... but I have yet to see vid of it hitting deeper than stock X2.

And I have not seen any water work with it.

But I have not looked at all or even that many vids.. so far anyway.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I couldn’t upload this one, so you’ll have to google it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1578359432.182602.jpg

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the EQX 800 and Excal II, I use the Nox almost exclusively in fresh water and wet & dry sand at the beach. If for nothing else the weight difference at the beach w a 15" coil on it gets my vote. That it will pick up small gold is an added plus in both of those environments. However in salt water up to chest deep my preference is the Excal. Gives you plenty of depth......as many on here will attest, is solidly built so can stand up to the rigors of water hunting, and I never have to worry about it flooding. Both good tools, I just use each differently. My two cents...

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’ll be getting a nox this spring, I’m hoping minelab has got the flooding issue figured out by then and I don’t end up with a leaky Equinox.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I would never abandon my excals! Simply stated the Nox is a great wet sand machine but doesn’t come close in chest deep salt water to an excal in pinpoint for depth. To test this in both New England waters and west coast Florida waters I first located a faint target with the excal in pp chest deep. Planted my scoop near the target, walked the excal over to my wife and then tried the Nox 800. Couldn’t hear the target no matter how I set it up. I could hear it only affect the field when in pinpoint on the Nox. Then I reversed the process by finding what I believed was a deep target/faint with the 800 then switched machines back to excal. Easily hit the target first in discrimination and much harder in pp. I’ve repeated this test on several occasions and the results have always been the same. Stock coil on the Nox and 10” coil on my excal blue tube. JMTC Worth

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn’t upload this one, so you’ll have to google it. View attachment 1787574

yeah I saw that one... wet sand... I was referring to surf work... I will look on the Tube for a vid using EQ in the surf.

I am impressed with the EQ on the sand... I just don't see any REAL water work with it.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never went the CTX 3030 or Equinox route

If I want a meter to look at the Sovereign on the right has one

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 357

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the original Excalibur and equinox 800. The equinox performance has made me relegate the old Excalibur to the back up machine. Not saying anything bad about the Excalibur, I still think it's great. I just think the equinox is a step forward as the technology advances.

Earlafindit

Nov 19, 2009
Mid Atlantic Coast DE.
Detector(s) used
f75se,CTX3030, , Deus ,Excal blue 800 & 1000 , Manticore , TDI BeachHunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love the Nox with the 15, on the beach wet- and some dry , Love my blue's Excaliburs with pp and skullies , ill be using them through spring , now if i had Joe's energy lol , id do better , last hunt of 2019 was with the DF , waiting with OBN on the AQ , if i can't do better with it , im done , i am hoping 2020 will be good , Earl PS Congrats Joe on #1 for 2020

Last edited:

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the excal in the wet sand all winter long it's deeper in my opinion. The Nox is great in the summer when I might want to go from the dry to the wet.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Excal for 10 yrs, CTX 3030 w 17" coil for 3 yrs and now Equinox 800 w 15" coil for past 6 months. I hear Ya, but for dry sand and for surf up to Nox housing, I'll have to go w the Nox 800 w 15" coil. :hello2::hello2:

Gold - 13
Silver 13

Joetrikke

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2013
Delray Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Tesoro Sand Shark
Excalibur
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Has everyone except OBN and me abandoned their Excals for Noxes?
Yes the nox is lighter and maybe deeper, But NOT as good in the water in my opinion.
Opinions anyone? Tks Gayle

I agree. I use my Nox for dry or wet but when I plan a water hunt the Excal is the way to go!

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my Equinox 800 after a years use, have two excal's my gold count went up. Iam mostly a water hunter. The Nox is in England now on a field of dreams.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The advantage to the Nox IMO come more out of the water where various modes, freq, and weighted averages come into play. Since we are using Beach 2 in the water....... we are using reduced power (ive been told as much as half), multi freq ONLY, a salt setting AND in most cases less sensitivity and higher recovery speeds. So .... you may seem smaller gold coming from the wet and dry.... but all things are equal in the water. We tested a 3 gram gold ring in the wet sand with the Nox........it hit it at about 12".... in the water 10".... think the Xcal will hit that in PP...... i do. First year with the Nox i found 6 gold chaines....... the smallest being .3 gram.... which i found with the Xcal not the Nox. When air testing over 150 pieces of gold there were only 2 targets the Xcal didnt hit the Nox did..... a hollow open gold earring and an extremely small cross....... now consider all that i said about using Beach 2. Ive got hundreds of hours with my Nox in the salt water completely covered...... no issues. But its obvious some have had. BUT..... do you want me to give you a list of things that go wrong with the Xcal...... which by the way has a 1 year warranty..... at about 1/3 the price of a mod Xcal. I like the balance of the Xcal to on a long shaft....... and you cant beat it for simplicity. It was having everything hard wired and repairs that was killing me...... NOT how well it worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions