Experiences and questions

Ιχνηλάτης

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to everybody.
After many searches and recording of the Impact’s operating settings while using it on similar soil types I have come to some conclusions, regarding the detector.
I will start backwards for the sake of clarity.

I have been very concerned with the following setting, as it is the one that approached me the more than the others.
GEN-20Khz-Sd-Disc.30-Thresh 35- Fshift2.

I have read on various websites that frequency 5khz gives more depth than its higher ones. in my case this is not the case. I could say that the opposite is more true even if this sounds paradoxical.
However let me not dwell on that.

Cases where a golden object has a small surface or content such as a chain, a thin wristband, etc. the detection is judged from weak to impossible.
The only function that detects with stability such objects is the GEN - 20Khz – Sd.

Note here that the ‘sd’ setting is substantial.
There was a case where the setting did not recognize the object and changed behavior when the scale was changed (and only that - keeping all the other identical) from ‘No’ to ‘Sd’.
Once the scale was set to ‘sd’, then the object was located without any problems. The object was whitegold ring 18K. Setting was COG- 20khz-No.
Also the same object with the same Search mode on scale ‘sd’ or ‘No’ but at 14Khz was not detected.
So, after a lot of effort and testing I came up with the setting I mentioned above: GEN-20Khz-Sd-Disc.30-Thresh 35- Fshift2.

However in all cases I could not find a tangible solution to the problem of aluminum.
There are times (and there are many times) that identity of aluminum coincides with the identity of gold and others with that of silver. Usually the foil coincides with the gold ID.
For this issue I have not found anything specific other than the indications provided by the signal strength combined with the depth of the target.

Does anyone have experience on the subject to give a better way of recognizing aluminum? Any way to discriminate aluminum?

Ballarat Bitter

Greenie
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Golden Triangle goldfields of Victoria some of the old diggings are infested with tin foil left over by the oldtimers from the 1890,s gold rush.I use DI2,20 Kz, 60 sensitivity, notch filter set at 17-19 to mask the tin foil.Happily near pure gold nuggets comes in at 45 but can vary due to purity and size, and signals should not overlap as to mask the gold.However some users report that some gold nuggets ID,s can infringe into the ferrous range.Will try to use VLX2 with no discrimination but on infested sites go back to my old settings.
Not aware there were two scales and that the Sd needs to be set for best results on gold.Very handy to know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ι

Ιχνηλάτης

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At start up, IMPACT will utilize the ''Normalized'' ID scale and not the Standard ID scale. To switch to the standard IDs, pull the trigger and push the (+) button at the same time. Letters ''Sd'' will appear on the screen. If you wish to revert back to the normalized IDs, repeat the same process and letters ''no'' will appear on the screen. (From user manual).

In additional tests I found very good behavior and depth-clarity correlation of the programs VLX1, VLX2. Best depth VLX2.
Maximum depth is given by the programs DEEP and GEN(D). Note that the program GEN(D) can be done under conditions deeper than DEEP, when the ISAT is set from 5 and below with better results at 2. Ηowever, due to environmental noises, appropriate experience is required to distinguish between truth and falsehood.
While I use the GEN program a lot because of the clarity it provides me, in my own settings it is the most shallowest in relation to the others. I really liked the programs VLX1 and VLX2 for the reasons I mentioned above.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the sound in DI99 works best to differentiate aluminum from other objects with the same VID. Try putting a pull tab or small piece of shredded aluminum next to a nugget or coin with about the same ID. Move the coil very slow. Aluminum sounds more "harsh" or "abrupt" and not as smooth. It also has more waver in the tone.

Very small items are found deeper in 20, larger coins deeper in 5. Some of the small chains in my collection will not sound off under the center of the DD coils but signal on the front and back edge. I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread