Experiences with different coils for Fisher Gold Bug 2?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those of you who own one, what have been your experiences with bigger coils? Mine has a 6.5" coil and so far all I've found are small pickers and flakes that were on bedrock areas only. Have you had better luck with bigger coils in deeper ground?

post-1-0-66213600-1422681241.jpg

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will have to be in very easy ground to hit a .5 grain piece at 1.5 inches.

5 grains is around a third of a gram.

I own a GB 2 with the shooter and the 10" coil.

the depth given while "possible" are very "hopeful"

Once you start getting over a half gram the depth picks up. But, for the tiny sizes mentioned you would need to be rubbing the coil on some very quiet ground.

Even then without experience and good headphones you will be hard pressed to hear the whisper such targets give.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that original made fisher 6.5 coil, new company not quite as much. Them tiny specks sure add up and getting into tight spots has produced many nice nice nuggets my larger coils can't see or get into tight places-John

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my family we have three GB2 detectors. We all run the 6.5" coil.
We have a larger parcel of land to detect. We have all hit it pretty hard with the GB2"s
3/4 oz down to 1 grain size gold. Finds have started becoming sparse.

I bought a Makro Goldracer and own almost every coil they make.
I really thought the 15.5" x 13" coil was going to deliver a couple deep larger nuggets that the GB's missed..so far just 3-5 grain size pieces. I do like it for exploring and searching float gold because it covers a lot of ground.

If I wanted to really get the last of the surface gold, a PI would probably be what I would buy.

The percentage of large nuggets to small bits is very low, but it depends on where you are searching.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10" Gold Bug 2 coil (compared to the 6.5") seems to be more sensitive to mineralization issues and less sensitive to the plentiful small gold. It does not seem to give any depth advantage on the smaller gold.

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I owned a GB2 for about 6 yrs, was very successful on tiny gold with it, from one grain nuggets to 5.3 grains was it, using the 3x6.5" coil, tried the 5x10 for zero, and large 7" coil for zero. The 3x6.5" was a consistent tiny gold getter for me. Vlfs are only surface machines anyway for tiny gold to maybe 4" max, if your concerned with half grammers to 2 grammers at depth, get a Good pi with good flatwire tech coils.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT SNIPER - excuse a please I'm a no know what you mean by "good flatware tech coils"?

Does that mean the wire used to make the coils is flat versus round?? Which would likely mean that the windings have the wires with the narrow edge in an up and down direction with the flat laid so they stack from the coil center outward??

Also, what brand of coil would that be or "they be"?

Thank you for the input, "curious George" - 63bkpkr

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
Yes 63bkpkr, Nugget Finder Evolution coils and Coiltek Elite coils all are flatwire wrapped on edge as you suggested, from personal experience the small 9" thru the 14-15" mid size all have signifigant gains over stock coils. 2-3 inches in medium to light mineralization soils. These coils are built for SD, GP, GPX Minelabs. I havn't seen the flatwire coils made for any other machines yet.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you MXT Sniper for the response - interesting to understand that the shape of the wire Makes a Difference! That is fun to think about just wondering what the shape of the wire does to the shape or energy of the electrical field generated through the use of the wire itself. Hmmm!

However, was the Coiltek Coil manufacturing plant involved in the huge Northern California fire a year or two ago??..............63bkpkr

It is True, little things make a difference!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread