traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know of a online service that may help locate areas of exposed bedrock?

Sounds like a silly question I’m sure. Being in Ohio it could be 75 feet below over burden, or some places are exposed.
There are no silly questions, except the ones I ask. Can I ask why you want this information. Looking for Gold??

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I don't know about other states but in Misery they have our Department of natural Resources that has a Index of publications that shows every book / paper / test's that they did on public $$$$$ and some of these articles , publications are for free and some have a reasonable cost for their info ! Try goggling this info for your state . Usually there is a TON of publications there. Misery also has a big book that has each county's Geological make up showing the mineral and rock types and I beleive they also listed the depth to bedrock ! Good Luck and let's hear what you've found out for your situation !

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply’s guys.

Yes, I am a gold prospector.

I will see if I can find. I have been able to find a fair bit of geologic info just nothing mapping bedrock outcroppings. I have found quite a few outcroppings just nothing that seems to be holding gold. I was just hoping to find something to help me locate more places to prospect.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Straight before he passed away, wrote various books and articles for mining journals. I had for years been on the same gold prospecting forum with him. Once Jim mailed me a copy of a mining journal with an article he wrote. I'm thinking it may have been a 2 part article (meaning I would have 2 journal copies). I need to check see if 1 or 2 issues. He said they would send him a free copy for every article written (that is what these were).

I can tell you what happened to concentrate the gold. According to the article, water formed from glacier melting and edges became like a giant sluice box. You find out where gold has been already found in your state. Now other areas with heavy overburden will produce hardrock ore specimens. I have found right on property at home, large chunks of quartz vein (look exactly like what you see around Quartzsite, AZ).

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply’s guys.

Yes, I am a gold prospector.

I will see if I can find. I have been able to find a fair bit of geologic info just nothing mapping bedrock outcroppings. I have found quite a few outcroppings just nothing that seems to be holding gold. I was just hoping to find something to help me locate more places to prospect.
You belong to gpaa? They may be of help.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Years back when I was in the gpaa I went to a outing at the Swanks property with the Ohio Gold Prospectors group ( Ohiooutdoorsman.com) on yahoogroups and I was up there for about a week and traveled to their claims to try them out. Gold in Ohio is real fine like in most mid-western states . And as yo know , the Glaciers ground "our mountains" down and filled in the valleys DEEP ! Good Luck and keep us informed as to how you do !

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is supposed to be a place in Ohio, you can dredge for pickers.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years back when I was in the gpaa I went to a outing at the Swanks property with the Ohio Gold Prospectors group ( Ohiooutdoorsman.com) on yahoogroups and I was up there for about a week and traveled to their claims to try them out. Gold in Ohio is real fine like in most mid-western states . And as yo know , the Glaciers ground "our mountains" down and filled in the valleys DEEP ! Good Luck and keep us informed as to how you do !

Yes sir the gold here is fairly fine. My area (Greene county) has some decent spots. It’s hard for me to find anything better than 5-10 bits per pan. Everything is flood gold that I get from gravel bars and rock piles.

Hoping to find a few outcroppings to prospect this summer. Just to see if anything slightly larger, or high spec counts can be found.

Records of gold being found here are fairly sparse. I’ve found a few publications but nothing that really speaks volumes.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, Clay.
Thank you for the link. I have looked over most of these but don’t see any that specify exposed bedrock sections. I see lots of info on bedrock types, ages, geology and glaciated areas.

My best spots always neighbor a gravel pit. I suppose if I could find the edges of a gravel filled depression that might be my best bet..... crevices and productions to hold the gold and a solid gravel body up stream to supply the eroded materials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread