Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course we all love our pets. But the Mystery Mauling thread got me thinking about those really special pets that we have or had. Those critters who are have something that special something that take them to a level beyond being just a pet.

Growing up my Mom got a dog from a lady she worked with. "Pepper" and his sister were young puppies found wondering the side of the road. When they stopped to rescue them, Pepper refused to come until his sister came along for the ride. He was smart in other ways. Once while at the Grandfolks he crawled on his belly to get out of doing something. Well it took one command and he had that trick down cold.

My first dog "Violet" was a rescue who had been abandoned in an apartment with her 9 puppies. She was still skinny when I adopted her. The last of her pups had been adopted the weekend before. The rescue folks said her attitude was different that morning. Like she knew she was going to her forever home.

Well I got her home and put her in the back yard. My plan was that she'd be outside where she could have fun when I was at work. Yeah, right. She let me know within five minutes that she wanted nothing to do with that plan. She totally ignored the $100 dog house I bought her. I kept it for months and never once did she go into it.

She was great when I'd take her over to the neighbor's. But when he tried to pet her through an open window when I was gone...well Violet wasn't going to have anything to do with anyone coming into or near her home when I wasn't around.

She also nearly jumped though a window when a kid was hiding in the bushes in the middle of the night. (She earned her keep forever that night.)

But she was also a Mommy's baby. One day when she was in the back yard, and I was just outside the fence talking to the neighbor, a hoe like tool I had resting against the house came down and sliced open her back leg. She climbed the fence to let me know that she needed help.

Anyway those were my special pets. What about yours?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread