JConis

Greenie
Mar 10, 2017
Pilot Mound, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 &F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the F44 and really like it. Plenty deep, lots of features, light weight and we'll balanced. Not to mention weatherproof. Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you choose.
HH
Jeff

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The F4 is a glorified F2 with all metal and you can ground balance but only in all metal and that setting won't transfer over to disc.
Regular price was $399
The F44 is newer with more features and I would choose that one over the F4. Price $349.
The F5 is a whole different ballgame, a different platform with enhanced features and more power than the F44. About $500
The F70 is even higher up the scale than the F5, even more power and one below the flagship, (but not lower to us that use them), with similar abilities in relic, coin and jewelry hunting although discontinued....old price $650-$700 depending on the coil and slightly lower now after being discontinued from some dealers.
However....

The Teknetics Patriot IS that same Fisher F70 with the big DD coil that used to sell for close to $700 but you can get it now for the same price as that way less feature rich F4...with discounts $400.
Plus you mentioned before about hunting in saltwater on Virginia beach...this one is designed to balance down to salt with way, way more power than that Compadre that you used.

Expand your horizons, you are considering top entry level when for a little more you can soar closer to top end.

Last edited:

fjs440

Greenie
Mar 3, 2015
Avon, OH
Detector(s) used
F2
1280-X
F70
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That jump from a Fisher F44 to the Teknetics Patriot is about $50 and about $100 lower than the great Fisher F5. The Teknetics Patriot (aka Fisher f70) is the best machine of the bunch. The advantages of the Patriot are beyond the F4, F44, and F5, except that the F44 is rain resistant. Rain has never been a problem for me since I always have a baggy in the car.

I have the F70 and feel no need to upgrade any further.

I hope that Fisher brings out something even better that I can afford, then I just might upgrade.

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”, 8” and NEL Hunter Coil
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tek 8500 is on sale for $399. That's a better deal than the F5. I was an F5 user for many years. But the Tek line uses an expanded iron conductivity scale that is better for hunting artifacts, Plus the iron audio. The F5 doesn't have that. Many civil war buffs prefer to have the ability to use the threshold and phones. The F4 or F44 doesn't have it. I believe the 8500 is the best choice, but that's just me.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+ 1 on what they said.

Chub

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F44 has iron audio like the F19 and G2+...volume 1-9 changes both ferrous and non-ferrous at same time....10 is max non-ferous and silent ferrous....11-20 adjusts the ferrous volume by the 2nd digit. So 11 is a low ferrous volume...12 slightly higher etc etc...20 max on both (similar to 9).

Omega 8500 does not have iron audio like that and is a normal 0 to 10 setting. However...you can change the tone and volume for each category...so you can make iron low volume and whatever tone you like (mid,low,high,vco).

vicvector

Apr 8, 2020
Shasta Lake CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Nokta Simplex+ with headphones, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the F44 and really like it. Plenty deep, lots of features, light weight and we'll balanced. Not to mention weatherproof. Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you choose.
HH
Jeff

I recently bought an F44 with the 11" DD coil. . It has a lot of features for the benjamins in my opinion. Manual and automatic ground balancing, programmable audio, custom mode, large readout, weatherproof, uses 2 AA batteries and is very light weight.. I only have about 5 or 6 hours on it and it does go deep. So far, so good. (has a nice warranty too)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently bought an F44 with the 11" DD coil. . It has a lot of features for the benjamins in my opinion. Manual and automatic ground balancing, programmable audio, custom mode, large readout, weatherproof, uses 2 AA batteries and is very light weight.. I only have about 5 or 6 hours on it and it does go deep. So far, so good. (has a nice warranty too)

Good choice getting the DD coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread