✅ SOLVED Face

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 140
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 74
Solution
The back image shows the high ruff collar fashionable during Queen Elizabeth I's time, and the front, you can make out the choker-type ruff collar, both often worn by her in portraits, and there is a hint of royal headgear, so that's my guess, the front half of a two piece English button, of Queen Elizabeth I.
elizabet.jpg
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir.........

Attachments

• head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years of my hitting antique shops looking for deals I've seen vintage jewelry a few time with a genuine silver coin stamped with a protruding face of a Art Nouveau woman. I've never been able to find out much about them and only assumed they were produced from around the later 19th to early 20th century?... I was only able to find this similar example on Etsy. Your item seems similar and maybe stamped out of a bronze token or coin?

Attachments

• il_794xN.610038081_o6p5.jpg
    il_794xN.610038081_o6p5.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 28
  • il_794xN.610038177_4z3q.jpg
    il_794xN.610038177_4z3q.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The back image shows the high ruff collar fashionable during Queen Elizabeth I's time, and the front, you can make out the choker-type ruff collar, both often worn by her in portraits, and there is a hint of royal headgear, so that's my guess, the front half of a two piece English button, of Queen Elizabeth I.
elizabet.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years of my hitting antique shops looking for deals I've seen vintage jewelry a few time with a genuine silver coin stamped with a protruding face of a Art Nouveau woman. I've never been able to find out much about them and only assumed they were produced from around the later 19th to early 20th century?... I was only able to find this similar example on Etsy. Your item seems similar and maybe stamped out of a bronze token or coin?
Ive never seen one of these. And I worked in a high end antique store. Now I want one. But I dont think that this is one. Thank you for the reply.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The back image shows the high ruff collar fashionable during Queen Elizabeth I's time, and the front, you can make out the choker-type ruff collar, both often worn by her in portraits, and there is a hint of royal headgear, so that's my guess, the front half of a two piece English button, of Queen Elizabeth I. View attachment 1983381
I think I will call this one solved! Great answer. Thank you for the reply.

Upvote 0

oldtimer82

May 29, 2005
irasburg, vermont
Detector(s) used
whites silver eagle
i have a watch fob with that same face.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
That is the actual face/bust of the coin "popped out" to give it that appearance - not something added. They are also called Repousse coins. Here's an article about a book about them:

Most numismatist have probably seen Miss Liberty pop-outs, as well as a few Presidents, with Lincoln being the most common, but there are many more pop-outs that show fabulous images, such as animals, Indians, political, religious, Fraternal clubs, Foreign themes, etc. - all detailed and pictured in this booklet.

Many pop-outs were made into jewelry, such as fobs, rings, pins, brooches, pendants, cuff links, etc.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I scanned through the Big Book of Buttons and saw this one and thought it might be a match to yours. It is titled "Mary Stuart" - or Mary, Queen of Scots.
Wow! What a find!! Thank you so much. Nearly an exact match.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread