Fancy patriotic ink stamp found in Hinds county, MS

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted this on a couple of other areas of treasurenet but I wanted to post it here as well. I found this near Champion Hill by the railroad. It's a signature ink stamp. The signature insert is missing but the rest of the stamp is there. Let me know if you can give me more information about this stamp. Thanks. signature ink stamp.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told that it was designed to have a signature plate that would insert into that blank space. The signature plate would have been purchased and custom made by a master jeweler.
You can see at the back of the stamp where the key inserted that would lock the signature into place.
Most normal people couldn't have afforded to have a signature made. Must have been somebody with financial means.

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These were sold to soldiers by sutlers during the Civil War. Rather than a single insert, they had individual letter type blocks that the sutler would put together to form a name. A thumbscrew was tightened to hold the letters together.

Last edited:

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome. I have hunted up and down that track where Midway Station was located on the Champion property. Never found anything that cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread