Fancy Porcelain Thing! Can you help?

staceyanne

Greenie
Jun 21, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

Ive been a long time lurker, but was hoping to say hi, and see if anyone might be able to help point me in the right direction.

I went to a yard sale today, and saw this in the corner. The house had alot of marble tables and stands and fancier french furniture, but was a smokers house - so EVERYTHING was covered in layers of tar. But there was some nice stuff, mostly a little too antique for my tastes.

I Looked at it the best I could there, but it was pretty grungy and the place was really dark. Its a porcelain painted group of people under a tree and it looks old, because its so detailed its crazy. Like flowers, and small fingers and finely painted hair.

But I need help figuring out how to clean it. I dont want to accidentally wash any of the paint off, but it is nasty. For fifteen dollars, I couldn't not risk it. Any suggestions or tricks for getting off cigar tar and dust? Its about 20” tall and 8” around.

56955A12-092F-4A51-BE32-0338C36F5D9B.jpeg

Any ideas of age? Or maker? Theres a funny mark on the bottom in blue. Im not a porcelain person so I have no clue where to begin. Thanks for any help you can give. And thanks for putting up with my Totally random yardsale find of the day!

D64B0A28-AFE5-4B2F-8A02-47050E20EA61.jpeg B6DAE4F1-7AC0-443A-AF8D-9D9E04C26C1C.jpeg 416B134A-4B4E-433D-A3D6-27BAE76059E6.jpeg 9980574D-54D8-420E-8E1A-A108847E27BE.jpeg A3213DB3-48A8-4DC8-8ECA-93AF3907AA14.jpeg

Attachments

• 091E1076-9547-4EA2-A43F-F854C010F5EE.jpeg
    091E1076-9547-4EA2-A43F-F854C010F5EE.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, sorry Im not much on old porcelain but as for cleaning it you might try some DILUTED apple cider vinegar or some lemon juice & water. Use a tooth brush dip it in the solution and brush gently. Nice piece though!

OP
OP
S

staceyanne

Greenie
Jun 21, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, sorry Im not much on old porcelain but as for cleaning it you might try some DILUTED apple cider vinegar or some lemon juice & water. Use a tooth brush dip it in the solution and brush gently. Nice piece though!
Thanks Tom! Ill see how that goes.

DKMac

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh there was definitely coughing. 😂😂😂
Hi!

Ive been a long time lurker, but was hoping to say hi, and see if anyone might be able to help point me in the right direction.

I went to a yard sale today, and saw this in the corner. The house had alot of marble tables and stands and fancier french furniture, but was a smokers house - so EVERYTHING was covered in layers of tar. But there was some nice stuff, mostly a little too antique for my tastes.

I Looked at it the best I could there, but it was pretty grungy and the place was really dark. Its a porcelain painted group of people under a tree and it looks old, because its so detailed its crazy. Like flowers, and small fingers and finely painted hair.

But I need help figuring out how to clean it. I dont want to accidentally wash any of the paint off, but it is nasty. For fifteen dollars, I couldn't not risk it. Any suggestions or tricks for getting off cigar tar and dust? Its about 20” tall and 8” around.

View attachment 2030383

Any ideas of age? Or maker? Theres a funny mark on the bottom in blue. Im not a porcelain person so I have no clue where to begin. Thanks for any help you can give. And thanks for putting up with my Totally random yardsale find of the day!

View attachment 2030382 View attachment 2030381 View attachment 2030380 View attachment 2030379 View attachment 2030378

DKMac

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it’s legit, my first guess was Meissen but Royal Vienna isn’t a bad runner-up. Here is a similar piece

OP
OP
S

staceyanne

Greenie
Jun 21, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it’s legit, my first guess was Meissen but Royal Vienna isn’t a bad runner-up. Here is a similar piece
Wow DK!

now I am glad I havent touched it too much. Ill take it to a local friend who knows more about porcelain so I can make sure its taken care of properly. But it looks soOoo similar to the one you found. And looks like its older than I guessed! 🤞🏽

DKMac

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably just get a spray bottle fill it with some dawn and hot water, spray it down a few times, carefully clean it with some paper towels and q-tips. Hose it off under the faucet.
I wouldn’t over-clean the crevices, just the outer surfaces. Firstly because this can help establish age and second because as you can see it’s pretty delicate so less handling is better.

OP
OP
S

staceyanne

Greenie
Jun 21, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive decided to put it on a shelf and ask my friend over for dinner to look at it- so I dont drop it on the way over. Hahahaha. Will let you know!

Marlene Dryden

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a child's toothbrush for things like this — softer, smaller to get in the tiny places. And QTips, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread