Fan's Roman Site Day 12 - Metal Working Site Day 30 - 3 Hammered - EX RARE ED III HALFPENNY (Probably 4th known)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another warm sunny day with nice dry top to the newly drilled Spring Wheat. We are doing a good job at keeping all the 100's of birds off.
The day started slow with us trying down Fan's Site end & deciding that today was our last hunt, so that we can focus at the other end. (Before time runs out)
I did managed a Hammered of Richard II - Halfpenny. Therefore it wasn't wasted effort. We did about 2.5 hours gridding.
Other finds included a broken Lead Token, a tip of a Bronze Age Axe & bits...
OTWBTTC - Cru'dad got a scrappy on Fan's Site & I got one on the Metal Working Site.

After lunch we went down the far side on the big grid & rounded the day off to 5 hours detecting.
Pretty slow over there as well but we did manage 2 scrappies & 2 unusual hammered that we knew we hadn't had before (both Cru'dad's finds:hello2:):
Sterling Imitation Penny 1296 of Guy of Dampierre (Count of Flanders) read more here:
We knew we had an Irish coin because of the triangle centre but it didn't seem to fit the usual Ed I types. That's because its an;
Extremely Rare Edward III Irish Halfpenny 1339 (Dublin Mint)
This site gives some background about the first 2 known, 1 in the National Museum of Ireland, & the other in a Private sale:
The British Numismatic Society details the 3rd known:
I've found the only 2 Records on the PAS (3rd/4th known) & it's not quite as clear as Cru'dad's example:
Below is a rally find not validated(2011):

I've pictured it next to the 2003 book price.
What's the chances so close to Saint Patrick's Day!:headbang:
We will ask permission to get this Recorded, it might be the only GPSed example!
Making History again, this is why I enjoy this hobby so much.
I also found my smallest fossil find.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 23

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find crudad....I am sure it has great value both numismatic and historical....so does he need to surrender it, as it surely needs proper recoding then can it be kept by him?

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is so great. HUGE Congrats ! You & "Cru'dad" always post your great finds along with great text & references to share with us all. Many thanks. The find of the 1339 Edward III Halfpenny is EXCEPTIONAL. Might be the finest example left in the world & GPSed to boot !!! Quite the rare & beautiful find. I'm voting Banner for the Halfpenny on its' own merit ! When I have the time later tonight, I will make a couple of thumbnail images that isolate the Edward III for isolated, enlarged viewing & some text of the find. CHEERS !!!
J.T.G.

" I've found the only Record example on the PAS (3rd known) & it's not quite as clear as Cru'dad's example: "
Record ID: HAMP-1A2EC5 - MEDIEVAL coin
" I've pictured it next to the 2003 book price.
We will ask permission to get this Recorded, it might be the only GPSed example!
I also found my smallest fossil find."
EDWARD III HALFPENNY.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find crudad....I am sure it has great value both numismatic and historical....so does he need to surrender it, as it surely needs proper recoding then can it be kept by him?
Recording is voluntary, not the Law, that's why we are asking the Landowner's permission. If it were the Law we have a contract stating it will happen.
In this case it's important enough that they should let us.
It will then probably be entered in to the British Numismatic Journal.

Last edited:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes … what an awesome find(s). Wish we had coins like those around here. Big congrats!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. that's incredible. Congrats!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the St Patty's Day karma. There's something to it. Nice finds all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well found you two! That will keep you in fish and chips for a while! I'll be over in the Colchester area for a week starting on Saturday. I hope to find anything near as good. Cheers! :icon_thumright:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another warm sunny day with nice dry top to the newly drilled Spring Wheat. We are doing a good job at keeping all the 100's of birds off.
The day started slow with us trying down Fan's Site end & deciding that today was our last hunt, so that we can focus at the other end. (Before time runs out)
I did managed a Hammered of Richard II - Halfpenny. Therefore it wasn't wasted effort. We did about 2.5 hours gridding.
OTWBTTC - Cru'dad got a scrappy on Fan's Site & I got one on the Metal Working Site.

After lunch we went down the far side on the big grid & rounded the day off to 5 hours detecting.
Pretty slow over there as well but we did manage 2 scrappies & 2 unusual hammered that we knew we hadn't had before (both Cru'dad's finds:hello2:):
Sterling Imitation Penny 1296 of Guy of Dampierre (Count of Flanders) read more here:
We knew we had an Irish coin because of the triangle centre but it didn't seem to fit the usual Ed I types. That's because its an;
This site gives some background about the first 2 known, 1 in the National Museum of Ireland, & the other in a Private sale:
I've found the only Record example on the PAS (3rd known) & it's not quite as clear as Cru'dad's example:

View attachment 2016419 View attachment 2016420 View attachment 2016421 View attachment 2016422 View attachment 2016423 View attachment 2016424
Congratulations Cru'
Banner, simply amazing. That is an exciting find.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've found the only Record example on the PAS (3rd known) & it's not quite as clear as Cru'dad's example:

View attachment 2016419 View attachment 2016420 View attachment 2016421 View attachment 2016422 View attachment 2016423 View attachment 2016424
Ah, those were Cru'dad's finds? That's why I don't see banner votes ...

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gotta cross the pond one day.....nice job

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brilliant recovery Cru'dad congratulations on the rare one.
I might think Cru will be buying you a pint.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on that rare coin find

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Banner find Crudad made even though he isn't a member here! Still crisp detail and worth a pretty Penny....:thumbsup:
Probably the 4th known example is ultra rare...Big congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding!!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions