Fan's Roman Site Day 14 - Metal Working Site Day 33...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the morning I decided we should split up & grid different areas. I wanted to finish the last of the high ground at Fan's Roman Site end & I left Cru'dad doing the already covered Metal Working area.
It took me about 1.5 hours to complete the high ground, so we can cross this off the list. (no need to return) Just had:
Broken half of a Roman Disc Brooch
1 Scrappy
17th C Spur Buckle
3 Buttons
I then returned to help Cru'dad round off 3 hours before lunch. We ended up with 1 hob-nail, 12 scrappies including 1 I found whilst crossing Fan's Site, & 2 Cru'dad got OTWBTTC.

After lunch we got in the car & drove down the far side to start our 33rd day on the big grid. It actually started to produce a few finds after a long tail off;
Medieval Key
Medieval Horse Harness Pendant
3 Iron Age Fibula (1 OTWBTTC)
Roman Bracelet bit
Roman Trumpet Brooch
Roman Plate Brooch
1 Scrappy
Vicky Diamond Jubilee Brooch
18th C Pewter Horse Harness Mount

6 Hour Hunt.

So Monday will be our last day at the big grid end.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Upvote 18

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the morning I decided we should split up & grid different areas. I wanted to finish the last of the high ground at Fan's Roman Site end & I left Cru'dad doing the already covered Metal Working area.
It took me about 1.5 hours to complete the high ground, so we can cross this off the list. (no need to return) Just had:
1 Scrappy
17th C Spur Buckle
3 Buttons
I then returned to help Cru'dad round off 3 hours before lunch. We ended up with 1 hob-nail, 12 scrappies including 1 I found whilst crossing Fan's Site, & 2 Cru'dad got OTWBTTC.

After lunch we got in the car & drove down the far side to start our 33rd day on the big grid. It actually started to produce a few finds after a long tail off;
Medieval Key
Roman Bracelet bit
Roman Trumpet Brooch
Roman Plate Brooch
1 Scrappy

6 Hour Hunt.

View attachment 2020002 View attachment 2020003 View attachment 2020004 View attachment 2020005 View attachment 2020006
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Cool key!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 Scrappy
17th C Spur Buckle
3 Buttons

Medieval Key
Roman Bracelet bit
Roman Trumpet Brooch
Roman Plate Brooch
1 Scrappy

6 Hour Hunt.

View attachment 2020002 View attachment 2020003 View attachment 2020004 View attachment 2020005 View attachment 2020006
Cru'
The medieval key and horse pendant stand out...I need those for my bookshelf nicnacs :)

Love your finds!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING finds thanks for sharing

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Brooch or Badge, you guys call a Pin (I think).
I think we'd call it a pin...I would anyway... On the subject of medieval keys I imagine you've got quite a collection.... would love to see them all together in a grouping....maybe when you open your own museum. :)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we'd call it a pin...I would anyway... On the subject of medieval keys I imagine you've got quite a collection.... would love to see them all together in a grouping....maybe when you open your own museum. :)
Yes quite a few, most are these small keys that that call Casket (small box) Keys. Although as we spoke before, I'm not convinced by this ID & I think they were worn around the neck like a pilgrims badge/pendant.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes quite a few, most are these small keys that that call Casket (small box) Keys. Although as we spoke before, I'm not convinced by this ID & I think they were worn around the neck like a pilgrims badge/pendant.
The key was worn around the neck?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key was worn around the neck?
Its my theory as many of them show wear on the loop. It may have had another small ringlet that wore a groove or maybe someone constantly playing with it. I met a guy who reproduced Medieval Locks & he stated there wasn't many Casket size locks, so why so many small keys? I think they represented the key to the gate of Heaven & were worn like Pilgrim badges/pendants. They are both said to date from the 14th C.
Key of Saint Peter

Last edited:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its my theory as many of them show wear on the loop. It may have had another small ringlet that wore a groove or maybe someone constantly playing with it. I met a guy who reproduced Medieval Locks & he stated there wasn't many Casket size locks, so why so many small keys? I think they represented the key to the gate of Heaven & were worn like Pilgrim badges/pendants. They are both said to date from the 14th C.
Key of Saint Peter
If true that is an even better recovery in my opinion... those would have had significant meaning to the wearer ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread