Fan's Roman Site Day 3 - Metal Working Site Day 22 - SAXON SCEAT!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to split our day in half & do 2 different areas, because we are covering the site quicker than I expected.
Started on Fan's Roman Site in the morning for just shy of 3 hours:
24 Scrappies
Broken 1-2nd C AD Bow-and-Fantail Brooch (slightly tinned/silvered)
2 Fibula Catch-plates
Roman Disc Brooch
Small Roman Locking Mechanism Finial
Roman Ring whatzit (not a finger ring)

Although I had marked off each side of the field with big stones, I was surprised to see all my sticky boot prints had been washed away from the recent rain. Cru'dad stated I should have left a few in the middle of the run, so when we were finishing off he saw an interesting stone sticking out that was too big to pull with his hands. So he dug it out & left it on the side for me to spot. He was surprised when I told him he had discovered our best example of a Quern Stone. Later research places it as a 'Puddingstone type' produced in the late Iron Age, just into the Roman from stone found in Hertfordshire:
:icon_thumright:

After lunch we went back to no-mans land (Celtic gold area) mega grid for 2 hours 15 minutes:
As usual, not many signals, but did get:
Broken Medieval Thimble
1/2 Iron Age (Celtic) Toggle
Tudor Clothes Fastener

On the 2nd to last run, right near the edge I got a Saxon Sceat! Crazy, as we have only ever found 1 Saxon item the other week (Strapend), no other signs yet of occupation!
Sceat Series D AD695-740:headbang:

Another hard best early in the year!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Puddingstone Base.JPG
Puddingstone.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
1a.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 36

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very NICE congrats Thanks for posting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the Sceat
Never heard of the stone before.
That's a really cool find.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to split our day in half & do 2 different areas, because we are covering the site quicker than I expected.
24 Scrappies
2 Fibula Catch-plates
Roman Disc Brooch

Although I had marked off each side of the field with big stones, I was surprised to see all my sticky boot prints had been washed away from the recent rain. Cru'dad stated I should have left a few in the middle of the run, so when we were finishing off he saw an interesting stone sticking out that was too big to pull with his hands. So he dug it out & left it on the side for me to spot. He was surprised when I told him he had discovered our best example of a Quern Stone. Later research places it as a 'Puddingstone type' produced in the late Iron Age, just into the Roman from stone found in Hertfordshire:

After lunch we went back to no-mans land (Celtic gold area) mega grid for 2 hours 15 minutes:
Broken Medieval Thimble
Tudor Clothes Fastener

On the 2nd to last run, right near the edge I got a Saxon Sceat! Crazy, as we have only ever found 1 Saxon item the other week (Strapend), no other signs yet of occupation!

View attachment 2008495 View attachment 2008496 View attachment 2008497 View attachment 2008498 View attachment 2008499 View attachment 2008502 View attachment 2008503 View attachment 2008504 View attachment 2008505
Awesome!! Congrats!!!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All nice finds but that sceat is really impressive, great condition. I collect sceats and most of mine are nowhere near as nice as the one you found. Congrats!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All nice finds but that sceat is really impressive, great condition. I collect sceats and most of mine are nowhere near as nice as the one you found. Congrats!
Yeap thanks, very pleased with it.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:
I've recorded the Quern stone with the leading expert & she stated:

''nice find. This looks like the upper stone of a rotary quern (lower stones only had a socket, not a hole all the way through). Typical Hertfordshire Puddingstone as you rightly suggest. Usual dates 1st century BC to 1st century AD (so Late Iron Age or early Roman).''

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt! The Sceat is beautiful, i'm always impressed with these early medieval silvers but the Quern Stone is absolute killer! We have similar stone here, butfar from being strong anough to be worked and used as a quern. Very great find! Big congrats!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
24 Scrappies
2 Fibula Catch-plates
Roman Disc Brooch

Broken Medieval Thimble
Tudor Clothes Fastener

View attachment 2008495 View attachment 2008496 View attachment 2008497 View attachment 2008498 View attachment 2008499 View attachment 2008502 View attachment 2008503 View attachment 2008504 View attachment 2008505
Awesomeness my friend, congratulations!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24 Scrappies
2 Fibula Catch-plates
Roman Disc Brooch

Broken Medieval Thimble
Tudor Clothes Fastener

24 Scrappies
2 Fibula Catch-plates
Roman Disc Brooch

Broken Medieval Thimble
Tudor Clothes Fastener

The quern stone would make a great door stop in my building!

Most enjoyable read Cru' Thanks for sharing!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24 Scrappies
2 Fibula Catch-plates
Roman Disc Brooch

Broken Medieval Thimble
Tudor Clothes Fastener

Also, I wonder if the other half will appear...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dad found a broken fantail on our records that was close to the top section I found. It's wasn't a match but when I checked the collection I did find it:
PS. Now I posted a picture Cru'dad has tracked down in his Records that we found it on the 28th Sep 2015. (Can't find the Tnet post though)

Below is a picture of the 28th Sep 2015 Hunt with the other half of the fibula:
15 09 28 Roman Fibulas, brooches & var.jpg

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread