Fan's Roman Site Day 4 - Metal Working Site Day 23 - CELTIC GOLD...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another very windy but crazy day!
After spending many years in Ireland where Metal Detecting is banned, Shaun7 had a 1-day guest visit to our permission. Giving him access to our No.1 Field before we finished off the main areas.
We did 3 hours on Fan's Roman Site & got:

16 Scrappies
Roman Buckle Plate
Hob Nail
2 Roman Tweezers bits
Bits...

Shaun7 had 7 scrappies & the bottom of a Roman Brooch.

I got our first Roman Silver (sadly broken & debased - Sev Alexander) of the year whilst crossing the Roman Metal Working to start the day. Something we missed at the end of last year.

We gave Shaun7 the choice of sticking on Fan's Site after lunch or changing to the big grid in no-mans land. He choose to move. I calling this day 23 on the Metal Working Site for continuity but it's no-where near it, it's just a part of a continuous huge grid.

It's tough doing a large area 3 man grid but we managed it OK. I went first, Shaun7 next & Cru'dad was last run. As luck would have it Cru'dad got the Celtic Gold on his 2nd dig after lunch, just behind Shaun7.:laughing7: 'Good choice' I told Shaun7.
He lasted another 2 hours before he said his arm was going to fall off, getting a nice Roman Furniture Finial, buttons & Georgian halfpenny.

I got 1 scrappy, Will III Sixpence (Love Token) & half a Spec Buckle.
Cru'dad:hello2::
Gold Stater of the Ambiani Tribe circa 57BC:
''The Ambiani tribe were a Belgic people who lived in the modern-day Picardy region. In 57 BC they united with other tribes to resist the Roman invasions led by Julius Caesar. Sometimes known as Gallic War staters, these types of coin are thought to have been made to finance the war in Gaul and perhaps pay for mercenaries. Being uniface, having a design on only one side, perhaps indicating that they were struck hastily under wartime conditions.''

Crazy to think we are on 5 Celtic Gold already this year! Although they are spread out over a large area which is why gridding is our best chance.

PS. Met with Land-Mag at the end of the hunt for the pottery shard collection service...lol He keeps all our pottery finds for future study. (Catalogued by Site)

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 32

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic, as always! And thanks for the historical background information. It’s that sort of thing that really brings meaning to the finds for me.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Yow! What is Crudad's total gold count at this point?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pictures with great detail.Finding items from the Roman Empire must be such a rewarding experience.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always scary good hunts. I had no idea that detecting in Ireland was off limits...What's up with that?

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Fascinating and quality post as usual. Thank you. Most of your finds we can only dream about over here in the "new world".

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
five? FIVE!! and it's only February!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking pony, congrats to Cru'dad on the recovery. :occasion14:.

Last edited:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After spending many years in Ireland where Metal Detecting is banned, Shaun7 had a 1-day guest visit to our permission. Giving him access to our No.1 Field before we finished off the main areas.

16 Scrappies
Roman Buckle Plate
Hob Nail
2 Roman Tweezers bits
Bits...

I got our first Roman Silver (sadly broken & debased - Sev Alexander) of the year whilst crossing the Roman Metal Working to start the day. Something we missed at the end of last year.

We gave Shaun7 the choice of sticking on Fan's Site after lunch or changing to the big grid in no-mans land. He choose to move. I calling this day 23 on the Metal Working Site for continuity but it's no-where near it, it's just a part of a continuous huge grid.

It's tough doing a large area 3 man grid but we managed it OK. I went first, Shaun7 next & Cru'dad was last. As luck would have it Cru'dad got the Celtic Gold on his 2nd dig after lunch, just behind Shaun7.:laughing7: 'Good choice' I told Shaun7.
He lasted another 2 hours before he said his arm was going to fall off, getting a nice Roman Furniture Finial, buttons & Georgian halfpenny.

''The Ambiani tribe were a Belgic people who lived in the modern-day Picardy region. In 57 BC they united with other tribes to resist the Roman invasions led by Julius Caesar. Sometimes known as Gallic War staters, these types of coin are thought to have been made to finance the war in Gaul and perhaps pay for mercenaries. Being uniface, having a design on only one side, perhaps indicating that they were struck hastily under wartime conditions.''

Crazy to think we are on 5 Celtic Gold already this year! Although they are spread out over a large area which is why gridding is our best chance.

PS. Met with Land-Mag at the end of the hunt for the pottery shard collection service...lol He keeps all our pottery finds for future study. (Catalogued by Site)

View attachment 2009668 View attachment 2009669 View attachment 2009670 View attachment 2009671 View attachment 2009672
Congratulations to Cru'dad,
So Cru'dad was following behind Shaun 7? And picked up the gold piece that Shaun 7 passed over?
If so, it will be the one that got away for him...

Beautiful coin

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

16 Scrappies
Roman Buckle Plate
Hob Nail
2 Roman Tweezers bits
Bits...

It's tough doing a large area 3 man grid but we managed it OK. I went first, Shaun7 next & Cru'dad was last. As luck would have it Cru'dad got the Celtic Gold on his 2nd dig after lunch, just behind Shaun7.:laughing7: 'Good choice' I told Shaun7.

View attachment 2009668 View attachment 2009669 View attachment 2009670 View attachment 2009671 View attachment 2009672
Outstanding Indeed!!!! Congrats!!!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Crudad has bagged his limit......JK , big congrats to him, and he taught you well, so many happy returns to him.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Crudad has bagged his limit......JK , big congrats to him, and he taught you well, so many happy returns to him.
Nope, I detected for 10 years before Cru'dad became my digger, then he got my second hand detector. So I taught him well.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Cru'dad was following behind Shaun 7? And picked up the gold piece that Shaun 7 passed over?
Nope, I stated we did a '3 man grid' where I was the first run, Cru'dad the 3rd Run. Otherwise it wouldn't be a grid, we are trying to cover as much area as possible, with a tiny overlap. Although it wasn't as well oiled as Cru'dad & I & he did banana a bit, which we then filled in the gaps.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Really enjoyed the day mate.
Still looking at my stuff. Not sure about that being a furniture finial?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions