🥇 BANNER Fantastic Bayonet found at our school!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find and welcome to the board! You may want to get a metal detector and give the area a good search,there may be other "goodies" in the area too! HH......

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post has it all. Those kids should be so proud of that find! I can say for myself that my metal detector changed my life and opened doors for me to view my local history on a personal level. I spent three years digging a R.R. Logging camp and with each find came a clearer picture, I can almost visualize the camp and its workers. Anything that was found that had a company name or patents to research were a bonus, and could send you researching individual finds that could spark other interests. Good luck to you and your students!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you mean?

In their previous post, they stated a fellow in London found the middle part of a bayonet. He said 15 inch piece. I believe they were correcting that to 1.5 inch. I know I shouldn't speak for them, but since they haven't replied, that is my take on it.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a Showcase at school that you can diplay your Finds. Also a Great Security Camera. goldnugget, Vote Banner

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net and on making the BANNER Kindle! :occasion14:

It's been a while since I saw a bayonet find worthy of making the banner, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
Kindle Farmers

Kindle Farmers

Sep 25, 2014
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a Showcase at school that you can diplay your Finds. Also a Great Security Camera. goldnugget, Vote Banner

We will have our vocational crew build one. Our building is well alarmed and the Sheriff's Station is a quarter mile away.

NateD

Aug 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any other teachers out there are interested, I will be developing a curriculum to help guide this class going forward. It will be aligned with Common Core standards and VT State Standards across all subject areas (meaning it will cover content in science, social studies, math and ELA) at all grade levels. I'll be happy to share the curriculum and any lesson plans developed along with it.

I am an 8th grade special education teacher. Last year I started a metal detecting club with my students. They loved it! I would appreciate any curriculum and or lesson plans to help guide the club for next school year. I had a ton of interest in the club but had to limit the size because I only had 1 detector and pinpointer. Good luck with your future finds and congratulations on the great relic you found. This is the most interesting hobby!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find, great thread, and great members supporting the kids....awesome!

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone,

We at the Kindle Farm School are fortunate to have our campus located on a property that dates from the 1750's. Our treasure hunting class finds all kinds of neat items, but none so far as neat as this one! Last week while doing some trail building we uncovered this absolutely incredible bayonet. It was in found adjacent to a stream bed and either washed out of the hill side or was dug out of the stream while preparing it for the trail bridge. After comparing it to pictures we found online, it looks like those that were made between the time of the American Revolution and the Civil War. We haven't attempted to clean it yet, but it has the letter U followed by some other lettering on the side. Can anyone give a more specific date range for it? The integrity of the metal is incredible, its still razor sharp and has minimal rust issues. Should we use apple cider vinegar to restore it a bit?
View attachment 1169365 View attachment 1169366 View attachment 1169367 View attachment 1169368 View attachment 1169369 View attachment 1169370 View attachment 1169371 View attachment 1169372

use rust mort on it. Rust mort is a product developed to turn iron oxcide back into iron so no metal is lost. You can buy it at a store that specializes in restoration of old cars wagons etc. Ive used it and was astonded at the result. When done the metal looks like it was never rusted and awaits for you to coat it with a perservative

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The kids have a blast. We were able to buy 2 Garrett Ace 250's in the Fall. They have served us well, but now the class is so popular that we need to figure out a way to buy a few more to meet the demand.

Take a look at DonorsChoose online. I've had a lot of projects funded through there for my classes and this type of thing is out-of-the-ordinary enough that you'd probably get funded pretty quickly.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic artifact and fantastic program for the youth.
:thumbsup:

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread deserves some special award itself! The find is most certainly deserving of the banner, but the generosity of the members is just as incredible.

I agree 100%. Inspirational. Both oxbowbarefoot and the school are very deserving of high praise for providing a unique way to engage & teach the students. The selfless generosity of Bedford and some of the members here humbles me to no end. Bedford has my recommendation and my future business.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely think I'd a like getting out of bed to go to school if they had activities such as treasure hunting when I was kid. That's so wonderful of you folks :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kindle Farmers

Kindle Farmers

Sep 25, 2014
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments everyone. We will be getting out detecting this Wednesday, weather permitting. We've identified a few more local sites that might be pretty promising.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100%. Inspirational. Both oxbowbarefoot and the school are very deserving of high praise for providing a unique way to engage & teach the students. The selfless generosity of Bedford and some of the members here humbles me to no end. Bedford has my recommendation and my future business.

I havent said said anything about our donation since it was shipped because I do agree with Jeff - this thread should be focused on the find. But I do want to thank everyone who posted for the kind words. :) I'm happy to see we have some awesome members here who have also decided to help the kids - they should be commended as well!

OP
OP
Kindle Farmers

Kindle Farmers

Sep 25, 2014
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what came in the mail today! The boys are excited! The rest of the class will get their chance tomorrow :thumbsup:

IMG_1117.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread