Fantastic farm field finds cont'd

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back out in the farm field. Lead day :) Plus, a ring, and a button.

There's a Williams cleaner bullet.

Then we have the three threaded ones. I've dug dozens and dozens of bullets, but never threaded in the tip. Anybody know what THAT'S all about?

And that ring, it was cut, sized, and re-brazed somewhere along the line. It's either brass or copper, I think probably brass.

Then the button. I was really excited when she popped out. I'm pretty sure it's civil war era but don't know it's exact designation.

I dig all sorts of other stuff, you know, tack rivets, busted bells, iron rings, railroad spikes, cut nails, wire, aluminum, tin, copper trash. I just don't take the time to take pictures of all that stuff :)

Mud, Mud, and more MUD!

Attachments

• 20211231_172736.jpg
    20211231_172736.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • 20211231_173511.jpg
    20211231_173511.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 20211231_173739.jpg
    20211231_173739.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 20211231_173404.jpg
    20211231_173404.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20211231_173443.jpg
    20211231_173443.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 15

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Then we have the three threaded ones. I've dug dozens and dozens of bullets, but never threaded in the tip. Anybody know what THAT'S all about?

And that ring, it was cut, sized, and re-brazed somewhere along the line. It's either brass or copper, I think probably brass.

Then the button. I was really excited when she popped out. I'm pretty sure it's civil war era but don't know it's exact designation.

I dig all sorts of other stuff, you know, tack rivets, busted bells, iron rings, railroad spikes, cut nails, wire, aluminum, tin, copper trash. I just don't take the time to take pictures of all that stuff :)

Mud, Mud, and more MUD!
I,ll take a stab at the threaded bullets.Sometimes for varying reasons,a ball or bullet would be rammed without a powder charge,say in the thick of combat while ducking incoming,or the charge may have gotten wet and unable to fire.In that case a screw like attachment was used on the ramrod,shoved down the bore and screwed into the bullet.Then you pulled the bullet out and were ready to go again.Unscrew the bullet from the screw and throw away for a metal detectorist to find a hundred years later.Nice bunch of finds there for sure.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen that before either, but the explanation makes sense. Note how the threading seems the same in each bullet, appears tapered like they were made with a pointed rod and one, at least, does not appear to be exactly centred. All that, to my way of thinking, supports the explanation. It's nice to learn something new!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen that before either, but the explanation makes sense. Note how the threading seems the same in each bullet, appears tapered like they were made with a pointed rod and one, at least, does not appear to be exactly centred. All that, to my way of thinking, supports the explanation. It's nice to learn something new!
You can find some more like them on here,just search bullets and look away.Modern day muzzle loader hunters use a similar tool,after all this time they still load the bullet after forgetting the powder sometimes. Search for muzzle loader bullet pullers or extractors on the net to get a good idea of what they look like.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mud, Mud, and more MUD!
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!! On a Good spot!!!

OP
OP
A

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you for explaining that bullet extraction. I'd only add that the site I'm on is not a site where there was active fighting, so, while camped I'd imagine they did some repair work and/or may have worked on a few rifles to put them back in to service.

I'm absolutely blessed to have this site to detect. I'm certain there are other areas where there are civil war artifacts to be found, the acreage is just so large that it takes time to canvass the fields and more or less stumble upon where a regiment or whatsoever was camped.

I do know from previous detecting work in this area that groups of civil war encampments appear to be spaced a respectable distance apart from one another, say 50 to a 100 yards apart.

So far I've pulled 50 bullets from this particular farm (among a host of other items)

Thanks again!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congratulations! I just learned a lot from this thread about muzzle loader extractors. Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread