✅ SOLVED farm cultivator part?

cellerfeller

May 15, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting on the old family homestead and came across this in an overgrown orchard. It is 19" long and has a J on the top. Reminds me of some type of cultivator attachment. You can see where it has been broken and repaired. The farm had a small blacksmith shop - looks like they repurposed an old file in the curve of the hook to add some strength. I have seen a lot of vintage farm equipment but never one quite like this. As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• cultivator hook 001.jpg
    cultivator hook 001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • cultivator hook 002.jpg
    cultivator hook 002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • cultivator hook 003.jpg
    cultivator hook 003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • cultivator hook 004.jpg
    cultivator hook 004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it an old shoe with ledger plate on bottom. The grass board attached to the”J” part.
Inner or outer? Depends on grass board placement. They are on each end of the tool bar. They stick up higher and comb threw the crop so that every sickle gets about the same size bite. The sickle bar slides back in forth in the little grove. As hay in mowed the grass bar pushes the crop away from the edges. That helps clogging when in your next pass.
Cottage craft on www is a place I’ve ordered parts from before. Lots of pics for you to see might help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread