✅ SOLVED Farm Field Finds

Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum in probably 20+ years, as I am getting back into the hobby. I was working a farm field in southeastern Mass and found some things that I was looking for more information on. The first and second image show a button, possible coin, and some kind of buckle piece. The third image shows the possible coin with a wheat penny (to the right) for scale). The possible coin is light colored, but appears to have some green, it read about 56 on a AT Max, which I wouldn't expect for a coin. The farm dates back at least to the early 1800s and very likely earlier.

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Josh

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!! The long piece could be part of a buckle or purse clasp. Since the round piece has some green I'd say some kinda coin?

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you dug a few flat buttons, which means you are in a good spot.

Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to seeing your future finds!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible the buckle is a part of an 18th century shoe buckle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you post another picture of the button it kinda looks like a thistle

Here is another picture of the button. I took the picture at an angle to try and show that it is concave and looks like it is missing a piece. In the "bowl" on the top, there appears to be two marks where it attached to something else. Could this be the back of a two piece button? The button's diameter is 0.73 inches or 18.5 mm. It is shown next to a quarter in the image.

IMG_6411.jpg

Thank you,

Josh

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again everyone,

Thank you for all the welcome messages and help with trying to ID these items. I am following up with some more information on the coin-like item. It is about 27.8 mm or 1.1 inches in diameter, but it is bent and appears to be broken on one side. I have attached one more image of the side that appears to have a profile, but I cannot be sure. The VDI of a 56 on the AT Max is really confusing me, as I would expect this to be a copper coin that would read much higher. It is lighter in color, so maybe it is not copper Could it be a British coin (or other non US coin)?

IMG_6412.jpg

Thanks,

Josh

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The clipped coin looks like it could possibly be a George II Halfpenny.

Steve

Upvote 0

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Saves, the button looks like a back of 2 piece button and coin does looks like possible head looking left

Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have part of an 18 century shoe buckle, and the concave button is part of an early to mid 18th century two piece button. The domed front piece is missing. Here is a picture of how they would mate up, although the front and back in this pic are from two different sites.

Attachments

• Mated Buttons1.jpg.jpg
    Mated Buttons1.jpg.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jun 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to thank everyone for help with the identifications. All three of these items seem to data from the 1700s, which predates the current farmhouse. I hope to have a chance next week to revisit the field and see what else may be there. I have some other finds I will have to reexamine to see if they might come from the same time period.

Thanks again,

Josh

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread