Farm implement/tool

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little long. Inspired by Brad Martin YouTube videos, and living on a colonial era farm, I decided to get started. When I was a kid, well before I owned this place, I knew the old codger who farmed it back at the turn of the last century. He displayed a cannonball he found in the fields. So, I have left sensitivity at "all metals". In two passes around the yard, avoiding the house and barn, I've accumulated about 20 pounds of iron. My question, not to mention horse shoes, I have found several metal triangles, about 2.5" to the side, and pierced by two holes (picture attached) I assume these have to do with farming. Any ideas? (sorry picture won't upload, try again another time)

About the cannon ball. So far as I know there were no Revolutionary War engagements hereabouts. Although there is a Colonial era powder house about a crow's mile away. Any ideas? I recall it about 3" in diameter.

PS. I understand the place was actively farmed, although diminished in area, until the 1920's.

Attachments

• Triangles.JPG
    Triangles.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, i have dug hundreds of these aweful things. They always sound like a sketchy mixed iron/large relic tone though, so I gotta dig em.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fat nailed it.

Sickle bar mowers have been in use for a long time. Some of the antique farm shows still showcase the old horse-drawn sickle mowers. Most commonly associated with cutting hay, but variations have been used on other implements as well. Not as common as they once were, but sickle bar mowers are still readily available and used today. Replacing the teeth/blades was a common maintenance task so they are frequently found on old farm properties.

OP
OP
W

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm buying the explanations offered. They were found near the horse barn, as opposed to the cow barn. I assume that is the area where machinery maintenance would have been done.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little long. Inspired by Brad Martin YouTube videos, and living on a colonial era farm...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - members may have more success helping you (your location may help etc.)...

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are sickle bar blades for sickle mower, for cutting hay. I still use one and have new blades right here in box...lol I've found many of our old ones over time, and just put them in a bucket to throw away.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
We use a torch and cut a hole in middle for a big nail or a 1/2 inch lag screw. On corner post install 3-4 in round-a-bout pattern a foot or so below ground level and than tamp post in. Stretching barb wire on one side of a corner can cause the posts to twist.
If you shoot they make good downrange targets. Weld as targets in a knock down boxes. they can take a punch and are my bullseye size out to 2000 yards.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds!

Welcome to the forum!:occasion14:

fevercyrus

Mar 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Welcome. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Happy hunting.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI .....Tommy

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet and GOOD LUCK !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread