Farmers Choice Game Strip Day 2 + Random New Field - 3 Hammered & CELTIC SILVER...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We returned to one of our newer 1000 acre permission to try my new Deus II with 11" Coil that I received yesterday. I gave my XP Deus to Cru'dad but he wanted one last go in the morning with the XP GMP & swap after lunch, so we tried a new field. It's never been detected, other than a short try by us along a grass edge whilst the crop was in. It had no intel on it & the aerials showed nothing but old drainage pipes. However, it had some good topography & just looked worth a try.
I wandered up the slope & around the high ground before the drop off & got a James I Hammered within 10 mins! We wanted to explore the whole field so kept moving. After doing a large scouting mission for 1 hour whilst looking for signs of a Site, I then started a grid on the high ground. 2nd run I got a broken hammered, carried on for an hour & not much else other than buttons etc. We did the final 3rd hour where I had the first hammered & once again not much.
Finished the 3 hours with;
9 buttons
Broken Crotal Bell
17th C Spur Buckle
18th C Horse Harness Mount
Mostly blank Geo II Halfpennies
James I Penny circa 1610
Henry VII Groat - Pity its broken, its a scarce find

After lunch we decided to return to where we took the kids & got the 9 scrappies - Farmer's Choice (Game Strip).
I decided to grid the area I had covered with the Deus 11" & see what I could get with the Deep Program 6 (Deus II). Managed 1 scrappy, 1 small button & some crap.
After that I joined Cru'dad who was now using the Deus to finish gridding the rest of the Game Strip. It took us 2.5 hours to complete;
8 Scrappies
Buttons
US Ammo Seals
17th C Token
Alexander III Scottish Penny 1280-86 - My best example of this King8-)
I thought I had done pretty well get 3 hammered for the day but Cru'dad topped it off on the last but 1 run with a Celtic Silver. (complete surprise in this area)
Celtic Silver Unit of the Corieltavi Tribe 45BC-10BC similar to this;

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 28

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. I especially like the silver coins. Congrats!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful photos and interesting writeup, as usual. Please keep them coming. You have such a long history and so many artifacts scattered about that it is mind boggling for an Eastern North American!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We returned to one of our newer 1000 acre permission to try my new Deus II with 11" Coil that I received yesterday. I gave my XP Deus to Cru'dad but he wanted one last go in the morning with the XP GMP & swap after lunch, so we tried a new field. It's never been detected, other than a short try by us along a grass edge whilst the crop was in. It had no intel on it & the aerials showed nothing but old drainage pipes. However, it had some good topography & just looked worth a try.
I wandered up the slope & around the high ground before the drop off & got a James I Hammered within 10 mins! We wanted to explore the whole field so kept moving. After doing a large scouting mission for 1 hour whilst looking for signs of a Site, I then started a grid on the high ground. 2nd run I got a broken hammered, carried on for an hour & not much else other than buttons etc. We did the final 3rd hour where I had the first hammered & once again not much.
9 buttons
Broken Crotal Bell
17th C Spur Buckle
James I Penny circa 1610

After lunch we decided to return to where we took the kids & got the 9 scrappies - Farmer Choice.
I decided to grid the area I had covered with the Deus 11" & see what I could get with the Deep Program 6 (Deus II). Managed 1 scrappy, 1 small button & some crap.
After that I joined Cru'dad who was now using the Deus to finish gridding the rest of the Game Strip. It took us 2.5 hours to complete;
8 Scrappies
Buttons
US Ammo Seals
17th C Token
I thought I had done pretty well get 3 hammered for the day but Cru'dad topped it off on the last but 1 run with a Celtic Silver. (complete surprise in this area)

View attachment 2022664 View attachment 2022665 View attachment 2022666 View attachment 2022667 View attachment 2022668 View attachment 2022669 View attachment 2022670 View attachment 2022671
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!! Deus2 does well!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 buttons
Broken Crotal Bell
17th C Spur Buckle
James I Penny circa 1610

After lunch we decided to return to where we took the kids & got the 9 scrappies - Farmer Choice.
8 Scrappies
Buttons
US Ammo Seals
17th C Token

View attachment 2022664 View attachment 2022665 View attachment 2022666 View attachment 2022667 View attachment 2022668 View attachment 2022669 View attachment 2022670 View attachment 2022671
3 hammered and a Celtic... nothing to sneeze at...which is the Scottish penny and which find is the groat that was not completely intact? All great finds! Go Cru'dad!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
which is the Scottish penny and which find is the groat that was not completely intact?
All on blue bakground.
Scottish - Top Left.
Broken Groat - Top Right
Bottom left Penny also has a Scottish connection, hence the Thistle on one side & the English Rose on the other - James I of England was James VI of Scotland.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All on blue bakground.
Scottish - Top Left.
Broken Groat - Top Right
Bottom left Penny also has a Scottish connection, hence the Thistle on one side & the English Rose on the other - James I of England was James VI of Scotland.
Which one is the Celtic silver? :occasion14:
Great looking Alexander lll and the Rose silver

So have you got a sense on how are you liking the Deus ll over the D l, and wass the transition an easy one?

Nicely done on giving the machine to Cru'dad, how did he like the machine?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So have you got a sense on how are you liking the Deus ll over the D l, and wass the transition an easy one?

Nicely done on giving the machine to Cru'dad, how did he like the machine?
Transition really easy, I could tell what it was telling me straight away. Only down side is it's slightly heavier (not much) & the volume on the WS6 headphones at max are not that loud.

Cru'dad never likes changing & the Cortes had to fall to pieces before he took my XP GMP, so he wasn't keen but he took to it well & found 3 scrappies on the first run we did. I think as we bed in to the new Deus Cru'Team we will improve our productivity this year.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All on blue bakground.
Scottish - Top Left.
Broken Groat - Top Right
Thank you Cru'
I'll have a look. :)

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your good silver score! You know, i like that Celtic Silver most....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed in Scotland for 3 years and traveled around the UK as much as possible about 30 years ago, I completely wasted my time trying to develop a taste for scotch, learning to play darts and snookers, and wasting a lot of time golfing when I should have taken up Metal Detecting!!! Now here I am with many years later with "go back to the UK to detec" on my bucket list but I think before I can ever get over there again Cru and Cru Dad will have found everything!!:BangHead: Congrats on the beautiful saves!! I really enjoy your posts and your finds are fascinating to say the least!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed in Scotland for 3 years and traveled around the UK as much as possible about 30 years ago, I completely wasted my time trying to develop a taste for scotch, learning to play darts and snookers, and wasting a lot of time golfing when I should have taken up Metal Detecting!!! Now here I am with many years later with "go back to the UK to detec" on my bucket list but I think before I can ever get over there again Cru and Cru Dad will have found everything!!:BangHead: Congrats on the beautiful saves!! I really enjoy your posts and your finds are fascinating to say the least!
Scotland have different Detecting Laws than us, not quite as good, from what I can tell.
But yes, you should have been in the fields instead of the Pub's, although I do like the odd pint myself. (not a spirits drinker)

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9 buttons
Broken Crotal Bell
17th C Spur Buckle
James I Penny circa 1610

After lunch we decided to return to where we took the kids & got the 9 scrappies - Farmer's Choice (Game Strip).
8 Scrappies
Buttons
US Ammo Seals
17th C Token

Cru,

Another amazing day. Great finds and thank you for sharing. Every one of your posts is like reading a history lesson. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions