Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that is why you do not open your mouth about good finds to anyone you do not know and then it is questionable whether you tell those you do know also

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well it's my understanding that it was A) on government property
and B) part of a US military payroll
C) they needed permission to dig
Did they really think they would get to keep property of the US military or US Treasury?
Far less 50 million in gold?
Quite naive in my book. And the FBI does as it pleases - we may not like it but
they do. So let this be a lesson to other THer's reading or watching this drama
play out. Every cache hunting book I ever read said the same basic thing -
go in, remove the treasure, replace the soil and rock exactly the way you found
it, and tell no one about it. How many people today can do that? Not many
I'd guess. Whole thing sucks but this is the way I see it.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On gov't property? I didn't see that anywhere, but I suppose it could have been the case. Did you see that elsehere?

"...which took place nearly four years ago at a remote woodland site in north-western Pennsylvania."

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On gov't property? I didn't see that anywhere, but I suppose it could have been the case. Did you see that elsehere?

"...which took place nearly four years ago at a remote woodland site in north-western Pennsylvania."

I live in PA - so I very interested in following the story when it hit the news.

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People love to brag on social media. There was a spill of an armored truck on the freeway and like 3 people went to jail for recording tiktoks about all the money spilt. Morons. That’s not the kind of thing you broadcast openly otherwise your bound to get it taken and then you’ll look dumb. If I ever find anything worth a couple M’s I’m taking that with me to the grave. Not a soul will know.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

As I recall from the other threads, the people involved had an idea where the gold was supposed to be and signed a contract with the government for some kind of split. But just before the digging struck gold the feds cleared everyone off the site, backed them up to a perimeter and then said nothing was found. So to me there are two issues here: One is whether or not any gold was actually found. The other is the terms of the contract. So it comes down to whether or not the feds actually did find gold. Based on the claims following the feds clearing everyone out, the finders are convinced that the feds sent in a convoy of trucks to clear out the gold. The feds say they didn't. Now it's a matter for the courts to decide. And from what I remember in the other threads, the finders trusted the government rather than pay a lawyer to oversee and shepherd the process along. So in my opinion, they made both the mistake of trusting the government and also not paying someone to represent their interests throughout the entire process. Bottom line, never trust the government and always pay a lawyer with a fiduciary interest to handle it whenever there is money involved. Now they are learning one of the Hard Lessons of Life. And a hard lesson it be...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will never know if they truly found any Gold, but I have to ask the obvious question, "So some people decided to rob a wagon for the Gold and all decided to just bury it and never recovered it? What was the point?"

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
We will never know if they truly found any Gold, but I have to ask the obvious question, "So some people decided to rob a wagon for the Gold and all decided to just bury it and never recovered it? What was the point?"
I agree, but that same question could also be asked about pretty much any large cache that has been found, or is rumored to exist. My belief is that most of the rumored caches are just tall tales. Sure, in some cases the people responsible for burying it died or were put in prison before they could retrieve it. But why would anyone who is able to do so not recover the cache they buried? I see parallels between this phenomenon and Bigfoot/Sasquatch sightings. Why is it that there were far more "sightings" of Sasquatch before everyone carried around a compact, 4K camera in their phone? Same for the Loch Ness Monster and UFO's.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me thinks the US should have treasure trove laws like our friends across the pond.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Me thinks the US should have treasure trove laws like our friends across the pond.
No we shouldn't. If we did, the government could take your find, pay you whatever they wanted and there would be nothing you could do about it. And that could even be the case if you found treasure on your own property.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well it's my understanding that it was A) on government property
and B) part of a US military payroll
C) they needed permission to dig
Did they really think they would get to keep property of the US military or US Treasury?
Far less 50 million in gold?
Quite naive in my book. And the FBI does as it pleases - we may not like it but
they do. So let this be a lesson to other THer's reading or watching this drama
play out. Every cache hunting book I ever read said the same basic thing -
go in, remove the treasure, replace the soil and rock exactly the way you found
it, and tell no one about it. How many people today can do that? Not many
I'd guess. Whole thing sucks but this is the way I see it.
If you check the OR's (Offical Records of the civil war)
There is NO MENTION of that supposedly shipment or of that officer and expidation . I have rode my horses all over that area looking for signs for over 20 years

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you check the OR's (Offical Records of the civil war)
There is NO MENTION of that supposedly shipment or of that officer and expidation . I have rode my horses all over that area looking for signs for over 20 years
Ahh Gare, your not just trying to throw us off track are you? All is fair in love and war (and treasure hunting).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread