Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you check the OR's (Offical Records of the civil war)
There is NO MENTION of that supposedly shipment or of that officer and expidation . I have rode my horses all over that area looking for signs for over 20 years
well here's another version of this yarn - Sgt. Jim Connors and all that. Big city newspaper.
Do they write fiction about gold? Yes, of course they do.
Imagine if this is how Oak Island series ends - with a tent setup by Nova Scotia's law enforcement removing something and the 'fellowship' not allowed to see what they are removing, far less people watching the series. Five Brinks trucks drive away with tires showing obvious load upon exit. We could have another series called 'what was removed from the Oak Island pit? The curse that keeps on giving. ' Then they analyze the gold to find it is all pyrite aka fool's gold! LOL

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No we shouldn't. If we did, the government could take your find, pay you whatever they wanted and there would be nothing you could do about it. And that could even be the case if you found treasure on your own property.
I disagree, we should have treasure trove laws. We had one here and you got to keep a percentage of what you found I think it was about 80%. That's fine with me because I do think parts of a major find should be in a museum.

10 or so years ago they repealed the treasure trove act. Now you can't look for anything. Even on your own property. The government owns 100%. Technically you can't even look for any object of historical interest without a permit which they won't give you. It's still legal to metal detect but you can't technically look for or retrieve anything.

The only exception is Oak Island. It has it's own rules. I live in Nova Scotia

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do not need Treasure Trove laws in America.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t we have another guy from Nova Scotia on here who metal detects? he writes really funny and entertaining posts about his exploits and makes some interesting finds which he,s obviously allowed to keep.Not dissing any one at all,just asking.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I disagree, we should have treasure trove laws. We had one here and you got to keep a percentage of what you found I think it was about 80%. That's fine with me because I do think parts of a major find should be in a museum.

10 or so years ago they repealed the treasure trove act. Now you can't look for anything. Even on your own property. The government owns 100%. Technically you can't even look for any object of historical interest without a permit which they won't give you. It's still legal to metal detect but you can't technically look for or retrieve anything.

We don't have them in the U.S., and you can keep 100% in most cases, minus taxes. Why would we want that percentage to be lowered? I'm all for finds going to a museum. 100% of finds even--as long as the museum pays the finder's price to get them. The problem with treasure trove laws is that it's the government that determines the value of the find, not the free market. Let's say you find something ancient and valuable, and the government puts the price at $100,000. You get 80% of that, minus taxes. But what if a private collector was willing to pay you $500,000 for the find? You would get screwed out of $420,000, minus taxes. The problem with the repeal of your treasure trove act is that your government essentially laid claim to all finds before they are even found. The treasure trove act was bad, but what replaced it is worse. In the U.S. I can freely search, retrieve and sell on my own property or property in which I have permission to search, with a few exceptions. A treasure trove low would do nothing but insert the government into my business and cost me money...and time in the form of paperwork which the government would love to find a misspelling in and fine me for.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t we have another guy from Nova Scotia on here who metal detects? he writes really funny and entertaining posts about his exploits and makes some interesting finds which he,s obviously allowed to keep.Not dissing any one at all,just asking.

I know of the guy he is Navy Davey of something like that. The stuff he finds is of little interest to the government. The government website mentions that you can't look for any heritage object including old coins.

Here is an example of something that caught the governments eye. I don't know what the final outcome is. It was a beer bottle.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have them in the U.S., and you can keep 100% in most cases, minus taxes. Why would we want that percentage to be lowered? I'm all for finds going to a museum. 100% of finds even--as long as the museum pays the finder's price to get them. The problem with treasure trove laws is that it's the government that determines the value of the find, not the free market. Let's say you find something ancient and valuable, and the government puts the price at $100,000. You get 80% of that, minus taxes. But what if a private collector was willing to pay you $500,000 for the find? You would get screwed out of $420,000, minus taxes. The problem with the repeal of your treasure trove act is that your government essentially laid claim to all finds before they are even found. The treasure trove act was bad, but what replaced it is worse. In the U.S. I can freely search, retrieve and sell on my own property or property in which I have permission to search, with a few exceptions. A treasure trove low would do nothing but insert the government into my business and cost me money...and time in the form of paperwork which the government would love to find a misspelling in and fine me for.
You bring up some good points. I was under the impression the government could take what you found because of what I had read a while back about some shipwrecks in Florida.

I agree the government should not be the one to determine the value of a found object. Price would have to be based on whatever someone was willing to pay.

When they repealed our treasure trove law they started using previously existing legislation to declare everything off limits. Don't think for a second that I'm saying more government intervention is a good thing.

I think the biggest problem with the repeal of the treasure trove act is you can bet that anyone searching for a treasure now will never admit it if they find it so any potential finds will now go unknown forever.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
You bring up some good points. I was under the impression the government could take what you found because of what I had read a while back about some shipwrecks in Florida.
That's because the government controls the "navigable waters" in the United States. Between that and the various territorial limits, the government pretty much has a monopoly on the ownership and control of shipwrecks. They can also take your find if you find it on federal land. But if you find something on your own property, or other private property with permission, it's yours. The exceptions there would be if it is something that is government property, stolen goods, Native American grave goods, etc. So if I find a thousand gold coins in my back yard and they weren't stolen, I get to keep them. But we do have a treasure trove tax in the U.S., so if anyone finds anything like that it's still a good idea to hire a competent tax attorney to figure out the best way to mitigate those taxes.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of the guy he is Navy Davey of something like that. The stuff he finds is of little interest to the government. The government website mentions that you can't look for any heritage object including old coins.

Here is an example of something that caught the governments eye. I don't know what the final outcome is. It was a beer bottle.

Leslie[Nova Scotia]- Lower Sackville,Nova Scotia. He seems to find coins quite regularly.Search bluenose on here and look over some of his old posts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree the government should not be the one to determine the value of a found object. Price would have to be based on whatever someone was willing to pay.

When they repealed our treasure trove law they started using previously existing legislation to declare everything off limits. Don't think for a second that I'm saying more government intervention is a good thing.

I think the biggest problem with the repeal of the treasure trove act is you can bet that anyone searching for a treasure now will never admit it if they find it so any potential finds will now go unknown forever.
The State of Florida gets 20% of everything found on the treasure leases, and they pick what that 20% is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread