Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
FCC Rules & Regulations for Metal Detectors

Here are some questions I've asked about once a year since the days of Windows 3.1 and internet bulletin boards.

As I understand them, all metal detectors are basically transmitters and receivers.

Here it goes again and maybe someone this year can answer my questions.

1. Does the Federal Communications Commission regulate the output power of metal detectors?

2. Would increasing metal detector output power increase depth?

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Re: FCC Rules & Regulations for Metal Detectors

The FCC regulates most all transmitters to 5 watts. You will only see a marginal gain by increasing the output because 5 watts is really getting close to the total possible output wattage, percentage wise. Wattage is rated on a scale as follows.

1 watt is 50% of the total possible output.
2 watts are 75%
3 watts are 87.5%
4 watts are 93.75%
5 watts are 96.875%

It is IMPOSSIBLE to ever have 100% because the gain in output decreases by 50% with every watt added.

So, at 5 watts you are already operating at almost 97%.

(Feel free to disagree guys.)

I believe that if you start messing with the guts on your machine, you are playing with fire! One, you kill any warrantee you have. Two, the more power you push through a machine the harder it has to work, thereby decreasing the useful life of the machine. And three, the more power you push, the more power it takes, killing the batteries that much sooner. My Garrett GTI 2500 is just as deep as any "tuned" machine that I have seen.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigEmAll
. My Garrett GTI 2500 is just as deep as any "tuned" machine that I have seen.
~~~~~
HOLA DIG

Being a Garrett man, and practally a compadre, automatically gives veracity to your statement, heheh.

Actually I would say that most of the detectorists would gain at least 50% in depth IF they really understood their machines..99% DON"T!!

This from long exerience and observation.

Till Eulenspiegle

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Yes SWR is correct. This was covered on the tech forum(An amphlifer useage question). The following is a copy of what I posted. The first link is from Carl on the Geotech forum.

Don't worry about what is "legal" as there are NO FCC rules on the matter. See below. FCC power limitations on metal detectors are myths.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,273955,280816#msg-280816
Here is another link also
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,273955,278819#msg-278819

George

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks much to all who have commented thus far.

I really never had in mind "tuning" a commercial machine. I was wondering what would happen if a detector were designed from the coil up for say 10 times the output power of the average commercial brands.

I was thinking of a much heavier coil gauge, far more wattage, and a belt mounted battery pack.

It seems to me that this should greatly increase depth but would probably cause other problems not the least of which would be weight.

However, there would be a special occasional use for a detector cabable of extreme depth and discrimination. Howbeit the weight factor would limit it's general convenience.

I'll bet such a machine wouldn't be popular at THing competitions--we're talkin major RF interference ;D

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Notice I did say MOST all transmitters! LOL
;D ;D ;D

George gave you the answer that is correct.

As far as a "Super Detector" goes. The machines that are currently able to use the "two box" attachments are already so deep that you wouldn't want to find anything with them unless you had machinery to dig with.

:-\ :-\ :-\

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking into the ground with a magnetic field is identical to looking into a fog bank with a light. A brighter light (more powerful magnetic field) does not increase the distance you can see into the fog bank, or see into the ground.
Jim

Waynea

Apr 24, 2022
I was an employee for 5 years at Garrett. The machines these days far exceed what we had in the 80’s. You could make a machine that would detect a penny at 3 feet, but it would not be stable enough to use. The manufacturers know this and do their best to provide quality detectors that are easily used.

You want an increase in depth ??… learn your machine ! I do not have the latest and greatest unit, but I do well because I’ve been doing it for a very long time and understand what my machine is telling me..

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger was a great person here on Tnet, very informative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread