Feed & Transfer Conveyors

Socorro

Feb 23, 2017
SouthWest Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would ask folks here what your thoughts are on something. We have been running through the paces of one of our newest products, small conveyors for feeding and material transfer for small mining operations.

We received a lot of feedback at the MINExpo this year but was mainly from larger mining groups that need testing facilities in-house alongside their large mining operations.

Our conveyors are 3 Inch, 4 Inch, and 5 Inch wide models, ranging from 12 Inches to 96 Inches in length. Our original and prototype models we have been running for some time now are all 12V motor-driven systems.

The reason for the 12V was for the usability for small miners running 12V equipment in the field without generators, and by using solar power, they would be able to easily connect and be functional without the added complexity of needing generators. However, with the input from many of our customers, they have been leaning toward having everything 120V AC and just using gas generators for operating everything.

The conveyors we are building are designed to operate a small operation such as a 12" or 24" wheel feeding from bin hoppers from 100 lbs to 1,000 lbs in a 24/7 continuous operating mode capability.

Anyways, just interested in your thoughts on your preference if you had a setup allowing a steady, continuous feeding system for your small mining operation if 12V DC or 120V AC would be more advantageous in your specific mining environment.

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have alot of experience but for my hard rock mill I have a big generator running for the jaw crusher and ball mill anyways so plugging into a conveyor at 120v makes sense. For the placer feeding the trommel with a 12v might work ok but depending on the size of the trommel might not be able to match feed rate to the max yph of the trommel. I have a generator surplus so I prefer 120. Solar also doesn't work so good in Oregon we are not as sunny as California or Arizona. Does sound like a good size system I will check it out.

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unless it's strictly a way of getting around local regulations on "motorized equipment," I would go 120V. You really can't drill or crush much rock on 12V power.

OP
OP
Socorro

Socorro

Feb 23, 2017
SouthWest Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have alot of experience but for my hard rock mill I have a big generator running for the jaw crusher and ball mill anyways so plugging into a conveyor at 120v makes sense. For the placer feeding the trommel with a 12v might work ok but depending on the size of the trommel might not be able to match feed rate to the max yph of the trommel. I have a generator surplus so I prefer 120. Solar also doesn't work so good in Oregon we are not as sunny as California or Arizona. Does sound like a good size system I will check it out.
Mountaineer2020, Thanks for your perspective, I appreciate it. There is a lot of factors that go into the final product, especially from the power viewpoint. We are working toward providing a circuit that allows 24/7 operation capability with small equipment and a lot less capital investment for the miner than would typically ever be considered previously. The aspect of power source is a major consideration as well as the sourcing of motors.

OP
OP
Socorro

Socorro

Feb 23, 2017
SouthWest Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it's strictly a way of getting around local regulations on "motorized equipment," I would go 120V. You really can't drill or crush much rock on 12V power.
Blaster J: No, a workaround on the power wasn't a consideration, however with the crazy mandating in Kalifornia this past week, I start to wonder how this will affect mining in the months and years to come, however.

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
Two ways to look at it:

Offer a version that can support both AC and DC for more money, put the option in your catalog for a year and see if it sells (the Kalifornia option).

Use a standard motor frame size so someone can retrofit it if they wish in the future. More complexity, equals more ways to break... KISS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread