Fenn Treasure Redondo Peak Solve

Jun 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see some points of refutation if anyone can come up with anything to shoot this down. Thanks! 🙂

I first learned about Forrest's treasure on Jun 15, 2019 when Terry Carter did an interview about it on his Youtube channel.

It then took me about eight days to solve it using only the poem as my guide. Here's my solve.

The first thing I did is I thought like I'm 80 years walking around with a 42 pound treasure worth millions. I knew I wouldn't want to go too far from home. So, my first step was to find every hot spring in New Mexico to solve where warm waters halt. This was easily done by searching with Google maps. Once I had a list of hot springs I looked for any hot springs that flowed into a creek or river. The first one I looked at was Spence Hot Springs in Jemez Canyon New Mexico, which flows into San Antonio Creek.

As I have gone alone in there

And with my treasures bold,

I can keep my secret where,

And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt

Spence Hot springs.jpg

Then, the next thing I did is I used Google Street View to take it in the canyon down and I stopped at the Rincon Fishing Access.

And take it in the canyon down,

Not far, but too far to walk.

Put in below the home of Brown.

Screenshot_2020-06-18 Google Earth.jpg

Looking up the meaning of Rincon I found that in the Southwest a Rincon is a bend in a river. And what's another name for a bend in a river? A meander! And what's a walk that isn't too far to walk but a short walk, a meander! And what's here? Yes! Brown trout! The home of Brown. Put in at the home of Brown.

Ok, so put in here? There's nothing there so I took that to mean to go off the road and go straight down from there. And what is the most significant thing straight down from there that relates to the poem? I'll come back to that. Let's look at the next couple of lines of the poem first.

From there it's no place for the meek,

The end is ever drawing nigh;

There'll be no paddle up your creek,

Just heavy loads and water high.

Who will inherit the earth? That's right, the meek. So, no place for the meek means to leave earth, or go to an aerial view. So, we are in the air looking down and we have the end is ever drawing nigh. We'll come back to this end is ever drawing nigh clue at the end of the solve. Notice the semicolon? That's the only semicolon in the poem, you'll see why later. And so let's keep going straight down from our put in point at the home of brown. And now, what do you see?

Paddle handle.jpg
Doesn't that look like the end of a paddle? There will be no paddle up your creek but there's a handle of a paddle!

And the "Just heavy loads and water high" is the massive rock formation the paddle handle is composed of and there is also Butterfly Falls adjacent to it.

​And what direction is Butterfly Falls creek flowing? It's flowing in the direction of the blaze that is across the valley. Here's where you see how ingenious Forrest was in engineering this poem!

If you've been wise and found the blaze,

Look quickly down, your quest to cease,

It took me days to solve this part! Why quickly down? And why, if you HAVE BEEN wise? What is "have been" I thought! Have been, is referring to past tense so along with quickly, you have two clues referring to Time! And what happens when you say, "have been and wise" in your mind over and over? What are words that have wise in them that have to do with time? YES! Clockwise! However, we want to use the past tense, so counterclockwise. So, based on that I knew I should be looking for something that has to with a clock! See anything that looks like a clock in this image?

Screenshot_2020-06-18 Google Earth(2).jpg

Yes! That's it!

Screenshot_2020-06-18 Google Earth(1).jpg

And what time does it say? Let me superimpose a clock over it so you can see the time easily.

Superimposed clock on blaze.jpg

Yes, it's 8:49!

I instantly knew one of those clock hands had to point to something. So I looked for a way to do the pointing while thinking about this line. Look quickly down, your quest to cease, and here's what I figured out. It's saying move the hour hand 7 hours and 27 minutes! Counterclockwise of course. The 7 letters in quickly are the hours and there are 27 digits after quickly including the letters, spaces, and commas, which comprise the minutes. So, when we subtract 7 hours and 27 minutes from 8:49 we get 1:22. And that then points the hour hand directly to the peak of Redondo Peak.

End time pointing to Redondo Peak topo.jpg

This is very significant because redondo means complete or finished, see here. Also, it's so huge it can be seen from as far away as Albuquerque! And, from the Wikipedia article, "Redondo Peak is sacred to various Pueblo peoples of New Mexico and, as a result, hiking and other recreational activities on the mountain are sharply restricted as of 2008. The summit area is occupied by a shrine that was studied and excavated by anthropologist William Boone Douglass in the early 20th century[3] and remained in use well into the 20th century. The shrine and its immediate surroundings are closed to visitors." Forrest is quoted as saying, “It’s not on a top of any mountain. . . it may be close to the top” ~ Collected Works Bookstore Signing, October 22, 2013. He was also quoted as saying, "The woman wanted an additional clue so I told her it's more than 300 miles southwest of Toledo." ~ Huffpost interview, August 23, 2011. About 11 miles Northeast of Redondo Peak there is a mountain called Cerro Toledo. I could see him wanting to die there.

​You might not notice Redondo Peak from down in the valley so he gives some more clues.

But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

Tarry means black and scant means small, like a pinpoint, or, like a mountain top near the blaze called Rincon Negro.

Rincon Negro.jpg

If you're standing on the peak of Rincon Negro you can see Redondo Peak as can be seen via this Google Earth viewshed illustration. The highlighted green areas identifying what can be seen while standing on Rincon Negro.

Viewshed.jpg

Marvel gaze is a clue about Marvel Vision who has artificial intelligence and therefore is super intelligent and I think Forrest was saying here, be smart, and know that you are looking a the treasure. I think the take the chest and go in peace was referring to the sacred ground of Redondo Peak.

​Now, back to that semicolon!

The end is ever drawing nigh;

​In English grammar, semicolons are used to connect things together. Remember the semicolon came after the home of Brown? What he was saying here is that the end is ever drawing nigh and he is connecting that with Redondo Peak, which means finished. And, look at how it plots out on the map.

Semicolon.jpg
In about the same place that he mentions it in the poem, it intersects the projection line to Redondo Peak.

​He gives five more subtle clues about time and past tense time by saying, for all to seek, must go, already, I've and now.

So why is it that I must go

And leave my trove for all to seek?

The answers I already know,

I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

I imagine it gets cold up there on Redondo Peak.

So hear me all and listen good,

Your effort will be worth the cold.

If you are brave and in the wood

I give you title to the gold.

So my conclusion was, the treasure was near the peak, but not necessarily at the peak, but somewhere around the peak of Redondo Peak.

​So why didn't I go get it? Yeah, I wanted so bad! I just couldn't get the $1,000 I needed to go there. I couldn't even afford to get the book! I had amassed $27,000 in credit card debt and I just couldn't get ahead because even to this very day my jewelry business was barely paying the bills. I did sell my 1978 Datsun 280Z to get some cash and then I thought I'd buy a used car and just drive there, but the car I purchased ended up having an unseen problem and then winter started coming into play and it was too cold to repair the car so I gave up at that point because Redondo Peak would be covered in snow until towards the end of next summer. And then coronavirus hit and delayed me even further.

​One thing I learned a lot about is Forrest himself. He's a very interesting person and has lived an entertaining life. We are very similar in a lot of ways! We're both sculptural artists who cast our art. Him bronze, and me, silver, gold, and platinum. He hates reading and so do I! HAHA! 🤣🤣 He likes celebrity girls and so do I! I have stories to tell, myself, in that regard. He likes to explore and collect things and so do I. I sent him an email once about the robotics exploration methods I have in mind and want to build and I just know if he read that he'd probably get excited about it too. I'd probably hide a treasure myself if I were a millionaire. Maybe I will one day. It's a great way to give people hope in life.

​You haven't heard the last of me folks! You'll hear about me sometime in the future, wait and see! 😁

​James

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The first thing I did is I thought like I'm 80 years walking around with a 42 pound treasure worth millions. I knew I wouldn't want to go too far from home. So, my first step was to find every hot spring in New Mexico to solve where warm waters halt. This was easily done by searching with Google maps. Once I had a list of hot springs I looked for any hot springs that flowed into a creek or river. The first one I looked at was Spence Hot Springs in Jemez Canyon New Mexico, which flows into San Antonio Creek.

I think you are on the right track in thinking like an 80 year old man, and that the treasure was fairly close to where Fenn lived in Santa Fe. If there is a point where I think you go off the track is when you mention the meek inheriting the earth and then going to Google Earth. I think that based on what Fenn said about committing suicide and hiding the treasure there, there is nothing in the poem to really suggest that Google Earth is needed. I think he formed the poem around what he saw as he moved around on the ground during that time of depression. Of course, he was a pilot so some aerial perspective is always a possibility.

OP
OP
J
Jun 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are on the right track in thinking like an 80 year old man, and that the treasure was fairly close to where Fenn lived in Santa Fe. If there is a point where I think you go off the track is when you mention the meek inheriting the earth and then going to Google Earth. I think that based on what Fenn said about committing suicide and hiding the treasure there, there is nothing in the poem to really suggest that Google Earth is needed. I think he formed the poem around what he saw as he moved around on the ground during that time of depression. Of course, he was a pilot so some aerial perspective is always a possibility.

Thanks for your thoughts. 🙂 In response, I would say, nothing except From there it's no place for the meek,. If we were based in space somewhere and I were giving you clues to a series of locations around the universe and I said, "From there it's someplace for the meek, you would instantly think the next location would be Earth. Conversely, if we were on Earth and I said "From there it's no place for the meek," provided you could not readily connect that with anything near to the last clue position the only logical location is off of Earth. The weakness with that rebuttal is I'm relying on a negative. Who's to say there is nothing there that relates to From there it's no place for the meek. Or, if the first two clue positions are even correct.

Yeah, I did think about his years as a pilot. Redondo Peak is 32 miles from Santa Fe Regional Airport. I imagined him flying over that area hundreds of times over the decades and I imagined those interesting natural formations would have been burned into his mind.

And one final point. Look at this screencap of scrapbook 62. I'm screen capping just in case Dal takes down the site.

Screenshot_2020-06-24 Scrapbook Sixty Two - Thrill Of The Chase.png

Notice that he has google maps underlined. Now, he did say that knowing about bible verses (Matthew 5:5) will not assist anyone to the treasure location he also said in the same sentence, "although those things have been offered as positive solutions." 😁

OP
OP
J
Jun 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrill-of-the-Chase-Mark.jpg
I just watched this and learned about the two omegas. My solve has two omegas! They would be the two rincons, Rincon Fishing Access, and Rincon Negro. I didn't know about these omegas because I never got the book.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is no treasure. there never was a treasure, Fenn has announced the hunt is over. He is refusing to divulge where it was supposedly placed, your exercise in a "solve" is completely pointless any more.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Until the finder, or Fenn, gives the location, you have only a theory. So do thousands of others.

Time for more coffee.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Thanks for your thoughts.  In response, I would say, nothing except From there it's no place for the meek,. If we were based in space somewhere and I were giving you clues to a series of locations around the universe and I said, "From there it's someplace for the meek, you would instantly think the next location would be Earth. Conversely, if we were on Earth and I said "From there it's no place for the meek," provided you could not readily connect that with anything near to the last clue position the only logical location is off of Earth. The weakness with that rebuttal is I'm relying on a negative. Who's to say there is nothing there that relates to From there it's no place for the meek. Or, if the first two clue positions are even correct.

Actually, I wouldn't think any such thing. If we were in space, my interpretation would depend on where we are in space. If we were close to Neptune I wouldn't automatically think that "From there it's someplace for the meek" meant the Earth. If we were on the Earth, there is little to no chance I would interpret "From there it's no place for the meek" to mean off the Earth. I'd think of a very steep climb or forbidding terrain, harsh climate, falling rock territory, etc. About the only way I would associate the clue "From there it's no place for the meek" with outer space is if it came from Elon Musk.

Yeah, I did think about his years as a pilot. Redondo Peak is 32 miles from Santa Fe Regional Airport. I imagined him flying over that area hundreds of times over the decades and I imagined those interesting natural formations would have been burned into his mind.

The above is a much stronger argument for using Google Earth than correlating the word "meek" with outer space.

OP
OP
J
Jun 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I wouldn't think any such thing. If we were in space, my interpretation would depend on where we are in space. If we were close to Neptune I wouldn't automatically think that "From there it's someplace for the meek" meant the Earth. If we were on the Earth, there is little to no chance I would interpret "From there it's no place for the meek" to mean off the Earth. I'd think of a very steep climb or forbidding terrain, harsh climate, falling rock territory, etc. About the only way I would associate the clue "From there it's no place for the meek" with outer space is if it came from Elon Musk.

The above is a much stronger argument for using Google Earth than correlating the word "meek" with outer space.

Ok, I still like my interpretation better, however, there is another way of interpreting, "From there it's no place for the meek" while still keeping in line with the rest of the solve. Looking at the first Merriam Webster definition for meek we have, enduring injury with patience and without resentment. Well, a paddle that is broke in half did not endure injury, so no place for the meek. 😁

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you trying to solve this for fun? The treasure (if there ever was one) is gone, supposedly found by someone who revealed their discovery only to Fenn with a request to remain anonymous. How Convenient for Fenn! You can never know if you're right.

I'm still not sure why the location has to remain secret. Oh, wait. Never mind. I do know why. It's because it was never out there for anyone to find. Revealing the "spot" might cause trouble for Fenn. He'd have to tie the "spot" to his riddles. And to do that would allow for the possibility that his "spot" had already been thoroughly searched.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still not sure why the location has to remain secret. Oh, wait. Never mind. I do know why. It's because it was never out there for anyone to find. Revealing the "spot" might cause trouble for Fenn. He'd have to tie the "spot" to his riddles. And to do that would allow for the possibility that his "spot" had already been thoroughly searched.

Bingo!

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

While I am in the camp that believes the treasure does/did exist, if it never existed the problem for Fenn wouldn't be the humiliation of that being found out. The problem for Fenn would be a variation of the "Attractive Nuisance" legal doctrine. That doctrine usually applies to children, and has to do with things like swimming pools, construction sites, etc. The idea being that a property owner is liable if they leave something accessible to children that might attract them and could endanger them. Even though Fenn didn't own the property, the treasure could be considered an attractive nuisance that lured treasure hunters into dangerous environments with the promise of riches. So what it would take is the family of a person who died filing a lawsuit based on the attractive nuisance doctrine. Once it's filed and Fenn (or his Agent for Service) has been served, The discovery process should cause Fenn to put his cards on the table. If the treasure was real, Fenn will gladly give up the location to end the lawsuit. If the treasure was never there, Fenn would either have to admit it or take his chances in a court. Granted, there have been lawsuits filed against Fenn before. But these have been along the lines of being duped or mislead. To my knowledge, there has never been a lawsuit filed on behalf of someone who died, but maybe I am mistaken on that. If so, the family now has another way to pursue it.

There are also other lawsuits from people who claim they solved it first. But there is also one Barbara Anderson, who claims that the finder hacked her solve and stole it from her. If she believes that A) she has the correct solve, and B) the finder actually has the treasure she has every incentive to make her solve public before the finder or Fenn does to lock in that claim. She may be the best bet on this, as she is seeking a federal injunction to prevent the finder from selling any of the treasure. But there is a big problem here: She is representing herself, and we all know what that usually means.

OP
OP
J
Jun 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you trying to solve this for fun? The treasure (if there ever was one) is gone, supposedly found by someone who revealed their discovery only to Fenn with a request to remain anonymous. How Convenient for Fenn! You can never know if you're right.

I'm documenting that I had this solve mainly to show friends and family that I had figured it out if I did in fact figure it out. They listened to me for nearly a whole year talking about it so I'd like to show them what the result was when the location is revealed. Also, I spent a whole year keeping this to myself so I'm interested in getting feedback from people who have a strong ability to solve riddles.

Yes, I feel that Forrest did in fact hide the treasure. I've always had great success at reading people and what I saw in Forrest told me that he is sincere. I think he purchased it from the finder and I think he is going to hide it again. I think the finder will reveal the location in some kind of revenue-generating method here in the near future. I know if I were the finder I wouldn't reveal the location when I know I could generate an extra couple of hundred k via ordinary methods of monetizing it.

If the location was revealed and someone claimed they had already thoroughly searched the area and didn't find it I'll bet everyone would say, "Well, you didn't look well enough!" HAHA! ����

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread