Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out a few hours yesterday to scratch around and got a few pieces
few points, mostly broke
100_0543.JPG 100_0544.JPG

This one might be a tool, I thought it was just a piece of fire popped stone, which is looks to be, but it also looks worked on both sides giving it a "wave" which is what I noticed. doesn't seem hard enough to chop wood, so maybe some kind dirt breaker. not sure about this one.
100_0538.JPG 100_0539.JPG 100_0540.JPG 100_0541.JPG 100_0542.JPG

and this piece which looks finely made with what I thought may have been a really odd base and snapped in half, appears to maybe be engraver. Cool piece whatever it is.
100_0547.JPG 100_0550.JPG 100_0549.JPG 100_0551.JPG 100_0552.JPG 100_0553.JPG

Upvote 0

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like the material on those points, especially the last one. And, Iā€™ll even side with you on ā€˜Dirt-Breakerā€™ for the big piece.
So many crude pieces, when found IN context could have been used for some unmentionable or unglamorous purpose.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recoveries... I hope to also be lucky to find some this year

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
some nice points.

I have some reservations on the fire popped stone, while the one edge has what may be considered flake scars in the one area. I don't see the long edge profile showing flaking how I would expect. The rounded edge yes, but that about it. And thats iffy.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the material on those points, especially the last one. And, Iā€™ll even side with you on ā€˜Dirt-Breakerā€™ for the big piece.
So many crude pieces, when found IN context could have been used for some unmentionable or unglamorous purpose.

I'm no archaeologist or geologist, but I assume a lot of the things I find were used for some unmentionable or unglamorous purpose, lol.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some nice points.

I have some reservations on the fire popped stone, while the one edge has what may be considered flake scars in the one area. I don't see the long edge profile showing flaking how I would expect. The rounded edge yes, but that about it. And thats iffy.

I'm not sure the material, but the texture and type seems pretty consistent with what I dig up thats pinkish/greyish fire stones. Its not hard stone, and the fire pops are pretty inconsistent. This piece is deff appears to be worked on both sides so that is whats throwing me off from just a popped stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread