Fill in holes

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately, I have been seeing that some people are not filling in their holes and leave huge craters at the beach. I usually fill in those because I don’t what the state or counties to ban metal detecting. There are entities actively trying to ban metal detecting and it is up to us, all detectorists, to stick together and not give them reasons for taking away our hobby.

Even in youtube there are recent videos of people detecting that don’t show themselves filling the holes so it is unclear if they do or don’t.

I love metal detecting and don’t want it to be more restricted than it already is.

Upvote 19

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it, it's sand, you just dug a hole so fill it in! Couldn't be easier. But unfortunately, the people that do this DON'T GET IT AND THEY NEVER WILL! They also litter everywhere!

Just saw an article on the news that stated one out of every one-hundred people is a psychopath (a person affected by chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior). So we are stuck with them guys and it isn't going to change!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think it is the newbies who get a detector and expect to find gold the first time out and they dig and leave hole after hole and just can't believe they're not finding gold. And they don't have time to fill in the holes and don't give a crap and haven't been in the field long enough to have seen the consequences (new laws outlawing or restricting metal detecting) of not filling in their holes. Seen in my area of late.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is the newbies who get a detector and expect to find gold the first time out and they dig and leave hole after hole and just can't believe they're not finding gold. And they don't have time to fill in the holes and don't give a crap and haven't been in the field long enough to have seen the consequences (new laws outlawing or restricting metal detecting) of not filling in their holes. Seen in my area of late.

The serious mdr’s know this because it is common sense motto. Leave the beach, park, field or woods better than you found it. Cover the holes so that nobody could tell you were there.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the same thing on the Treasure coast, people not filling holes and leaving the trash in the holes! See it in parks as well, very aggravating!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people who leave holes don't realize that its more than an "eyesore" that people dislike...

Its the twisted ankle or worse that can result that really pisses people off detectors.

YOU CAN INJURE PEOPLE ! ! !... and that is REALLY not cool.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And when they do it, here's the result...

Detecting Sign.jpg

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread