Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out near my home yesterday. Nice fall weather for a walk along a early cape trail. Several fun finds.

First decent find was this 1723 half penny Woods Hibernia in amassing shape. Right next to a marshy pond.

Then found two very cool 1 1/4" Dandy buttons, one still with the shank. My favorite for sure is the basket weave button. Have not seen anything like it. I often wondered what they looked like on a coat. So I found this image below. Looks kind of sharp. Not crazy about the jacket color. I guess the buttons were not gilded. I have never found one with any gold leaf showing.

Last was the big surprise with two coins together. 1802 and 1803 US One Cents. I have left them with just a soft soap cleaning. Got one out and had another signal. This coin was on my bucket list but finding two at once is crazy.

Found one spot with 10 small flat plain tombac buttons in about a 4ft area. Someone lost a shirt? Most in ok condition but pretty basic. T wo a bit larger.

Attachments

• woods face.jpg
    woods face.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 206
  • dandy button coat.jpg
    dandy button coat.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 159
  • early pennies back.jpg
    early pennies back.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 1802 3 pennies front.jpg
    1802 3 pennies front.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 139
  • basket weave dandy button.jpg
    basket weave dandy button.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
  • poka dot dandy.jpg
    poka dot dandy.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 149
  • woods back.jpg
    woods back.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 38

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Woods Hibernia, and tother two are nice but not quite the same.
You had a real good hunt, the big dandy's are fun to dig when they're like your examples. :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out near my home yesterday. Nice fall weather for a walk along a early cape trail. Several fun finds.

First decent find was this 1723 half penny Woods Hibernia in amassing shape. Right next to a marshy pond.

Then found two very cool 1 1/4" Dandy buttons, one still with the shank. My favorite for sure is the basket weave button. Have not seen anything like it. I often wondered what they looked like on a coat. So I found this image below. Looks kind of sharp. Not crazy about the jacket color. I guess the buttons were not gilded. I have never found one with any gold leaf showing.

Last was the big surprise with two coins together. 1802 and 1803 US One Cents. I have left them with just a soft soap cleaning. Got one out and had another signal. This coin was on my bucket list but finding two at once is crazy.

Found one spot with 10 small flat plain tombac buttons in about a 4ft area. Someone lost a shirt? Most in ok condition but pretty basic. T wo a bit larger.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What treasure! It's amazing to me that there is so much on an island. Must have been settled early and had lots of people on it over the years.
Yes, Cape Cod was settled quite early. I'm just a few miles from the Old Kings Highway. I grew up in a house built in 1740. But other homes on the cape go back to 1650's. I found a Massachusetts Colony coin a couple of years ago dated 1654.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All very cool finds! Congrats. Thanks for sharing!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't believe the condition of all of those coins, especially the Woods Hibernia. :hello2:
These coins all look to be early loses, the flat buttons are nice finds too, are the loops intact?
Dave

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe the condition of all of those coins, especially the Woods Hibernia. :hello2:
These coins all look to be early loses, the flat buttons are nice finds too, are the loops intact?
Dave
The button with the dots has the loop intact. So far 5 dandys from this one site. But 40+ smaller buttons so far. Beginning to wonder if it was a laundromat! But no daily life items like spoon parts or or other paraphyla. I just found a 1806 King George III one penny. One side is like new, but other is rather corroded. Facing up I guess?

This area I have been hunting was used by a number of early homesteaders who quickly realized that farming on Cape Cod is almost impossible without constant watering. Cape is a large sandbar with frequent droughts. Many are not on maps. You just stumble across a lot of iron signals and then button shows up. This one is different though. It's quite a walk to get fresh water. No sign of a well.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button with the dots has the loop intact. So far 5 dandys from this one site. But 40+ smaller buttons so far. Beginning to wonder if it was a laundromat! But no daily life items like spoon parts or or other paraphyla. I just found a 1806 King George III one penny. One side is like new, but other is rather corroded. Facing up I guess?

This area I have been hunting was used by a number of early homesteaders who quickly realized that farming on Cape Cod is almost impossible without constant watering. Cape is a large sandbar with frequent droughts. Many are not on maps. You just stumble across a lot of iron signals and then button shows up. This one is different though. It's quite a walk to get fresh water. No sign of a well.
It sounds like a real mystery as to why these items were all lost there. Possibly early settlement as you mentioned: picnics or simply day trips from the mainland? I'd hazard a guess to say that, Cape Cod probably looked quite different in the early 19thc then it does today. One can only speculate as to how these relics ended up being lost there, thankfully the sandy soil has preserved them beautifully for you. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• capecod-95494553-56a02e403df78cafdaa06dbe.jpg
    capecod-95494553-56a02e403df78cafdaa06dbe.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Cape Cod.png
    Cape Cod.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did think of a camp. The two US pennies were found mixed in with broken red brick. These are the only other items I found on the site. My wife suggested maybe a trunk of clothing was left to the elements. Something had a lock.

Attachments

• nov site 3.jpg
    nov site 3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 28

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread