🥇 BANNER Finally found one - 1785 Nova Constellatio!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin has eluded me for years, until yesterday. But then I only know of two others that have been found in SW PA. It's a 1785 Nova Constellatio. These coins were minted in Birmingham, England and shipped to the US right after the Revolutionary War. I included a picture from the coin book. Mine is the one in the lower left.
I also found a 1794 Liberty Cap US large cent. Unfortunately, it's a little beat up.

Nova Front 1.jpg

Nova Front.jpg

Nova Back.jpg

Coin Book.jpg

Liberty Cap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 95

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This coin has eluded me for years, until yesterday. But then I only know of two others that have been found in SW PA. It's a 1785 Nova Constellatio. These coins were minted in Birmingham, England and shipped to the US right after the Revolutionary War. I included a picture from the coin book. Mine is the one in the lower left.
I also found a 1794 Liberty Cap US large cent. Unfortunately, it's a little beat up.
congrats on the Nova! Not too bad condition considering soil in Pa.
I found one in SE PA and all you can see is 3/4 rays and obverse is blank. It is a very rare find! :icon_thumleft:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1000 Would be nice, but it's not nearly that valuable.
Agreed... and not to knock it... but if you got 50 bucks you would be doing great and way above top dollar for this... due solely to the condition.

None the less... a stellar find... and a banner find in my book... and priceless due solely for this condition.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed... and not to knock it... but if you got 50 bucks you would be doing great and way above top dollar for this... due solely to the condition.

None the less... a stellar find... and a banner find in my book... and priceless due solely for this condition.
I'm soooo not a coin guy, ugh..lol sorry guys thought I was accurate, but we all make mistakes. Very awesome dig I want one too :)

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find Steve......and Congrats. I see Cutler ID'ed variety. Funny how in Massachusetts I've NEVER found a Ma. copper although all of my detector buddies have. Waiting......
I'd love to find a Mass copper or a Fugio. I've found most of the other commonly seen early coppers - 8 New Jerseys, 4 Vermonts, 6 Virginias, and over a dozen Connecticuts.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm soooo not a coin guy, ugh..lol sorry guys thought I was accurate, but we all make mistakes. Very awesome dig I want one too :)
No need to apologize. Honest mistake. Good luck in your scroungings and wanderings. I hope you stumble upon one :thumbsup:

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2058505
View attachment 2058084
View attachment 2058085
View attachment 2058086
View attachment 2058087
Great looking coin! Those do not come easy. Congrats!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2058505
View attachment 2058084
View attachment 2058085
View attachment 2058086
View attachment 2058087
It would be exceedingly rare occurrence for a coin of that…importance, to be recovered out
here in the West…!
Sigh!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the Nova! Not too bad condition considering soil in Pa.
I found one in SE PA and all you can see is 3/4 rays and obverse is blank. It is a very rare find! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks, I was lucky this one was in good ground that drained well.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding any 17xx US coin is amazing, 2 in one hunt is difficult to fathom- Huge Congrats for those beauties!
Thanks Jeff, I probably have put 16 hours in on this place. There is the standing house, summer kitchen, large barn foundation and a gristmill foundation. The place should be loaded, even if it was hunted before. But all i have to show is a 1675 two reale cob, the Nova, the Liberty Cap, an 1884 V Nickel, and an 1891-S Dime, plus a thimble and two buttons. But I'll take quality over quantity any day :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be exceedingly rare occurrence for a coin of that…importance, to be recovered out
here in the West…!
Sigh!
But there are so many other perks to living in California...wildfires, earthquakes, droughts....
Seriously, I envy some of the gold rush relics and coins I see coming out of Calfornia.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin! Those do not come easy. Congrats!
No, they don't! Only took me 35 years. People use the term Bucket Lister very loosely on this forum. But this is a coin I've wanted to dig for a long time, so I guess it was a legitimate bucket lister for me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread