Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My previous hunt had produced a broken 2 real that looked like a cut coin at first glance. This time there was no question. It was a 24 on the Nox in every direction and it turned up right in the bottom of the hole. I've had "cut coin" near the top of my list for a while.

This one is 1/8 of an 8 real, so a bit, I guess. Does anyone know a way to narrow the possible date range?

Also found an interesting badge or mount that looks a lot like many of the 8 pointed stars used as emblems by the British military. This one is about 1 3/8" across. It has four small posts on the back that were maybe longer and broke off. Any ideas? We did find parts of a British military sword at this site. Insignia of Independence has a couple of similar objects, but they both have regiment numbers in the center.

Also curious about the partifact, in the lower right corner. It looks like a small sword guard but the slot is not wide enough. It's fairly thick material.

group obverse.jpg group2.jpg
cutcoin1.jpg cutcoin2.jpg
coin edge.jpg
star obverse.jpg star reverse.jpg
guard edge.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 24

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My previous hunt had produced a broken 2 real that looked like a cut coin at first glance. This time there was no question. It was a 24 on the Nox in every direction and it turned up right in the bottom of the hole. I've had "cut coin" near the top of my list for a while.

This one is 1/8 of an 8 real, so a bit, I guess. Does anyone know a way to narrow the possible date range?

Also found an interesting badge or mount that looks a lot like many of the 8 pointed stars used as emblems by the British military. This one is about 1 3/8" across. It has four small posts on the back that were maybe longer and broke off. Any ideas? We did find parts of a British military sword at this site. Insignia of Independence has a couple of similar objects, but they both have regiment numbers in the center.

Also curious about the partifact, in the lower right corner. It looks like a small sword guard but the slot is not wide enough. It's fairly thick material.

View attachment 1945858 View attachment 1945859
View attachment 1945860 View attachment 1945861
View attachment 1945862
View attachment 1945863 View attachment 1945864
View attachment 1945865

Thanks for looking.

Nice Spanish. My favorite find this year was a quarter cut 8 reales

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your coin is from the reign of Fernando VI. The date range is 1747 to 1760. If the crowns on the reverse were visible (without the date) I could give a tighter range of either 1747-1755 or 1754-1760.
FERDND VI D G HISPAN ET IND REX
Don....

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your coin is from the reign of Fernando VI. The date range is 1747 to 1760. If the crowns on the reverse were visible (without the date) I could give a tighter range of either 1747-1755 or 1754-1760.
FERDND VI D G HISPAN ET IND REX
Don....

Thank you, Don. That is a narrower range than I thought possible.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mentioned some similar 8 pointed stars from the British military, so I thought I would post some to see what y'all might think.
8 pointed stars.jpg star obverse.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first cut piece. The star is pretty cool and could very well could be British military.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Other Mexican coins show the G HI lettering but in those cases the G and HI are separated by the top of the crown; wherein the G is the last initial of the assayer.
Not so with your coin. Your G is the last of two letters (D G) meaning 'Dei Gratia', or By the Grace of God.
Don....

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In all the books I have, the symbol on the silver artifact is British Guard. That has to be a hat badge or leather adornment. Even without regiment number, it would be military I think.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds- the history behind those cut pieces is fascinating- Congrats!!

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Spanish. My favorite find this year was a quarter cut 8 reales

Thanks. I remember your post. That was a great find!
A buddy of mine found a quarter cut 8 early in the year. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/646963-cut-spanish-silver.html
I was with him and I could tell by the look on his face that he had found something awesome. Not long after, my brother found a quarter cut 4. Since then I'd been on a quest. I'm really excited about this find.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still curious about this thing. I just noticed that there is a series of partially drilled holes running parallel to the slot. Either they started to make the slot there and then moved it over, or they were expanding the opening and abandoned the whole project. So, maybe they were making a guard for a small sword and didn't finish it. ????? Maybe it's something else altogether.
guard back.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread