Finally pulled the trigger on a Brute setup

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased the Brute Magnetics 350lb cup magnet that comes with 100' orange 550 paracord and threadlocker. Hope to show some finds soon.
Does anyone here use this rig? Do you like it? I'm a newbie at the magnet fishing game so any tips or tricks are appreciated. I'm well aware of the safety precautions with these magnets but I'd like to know what you use to cap the magnet when not in use.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased the Brute Magnetics 350lb cup magnet that comes with 100' orange 550 paracord and threadlocker. Hope to show some finds soon.
Does anyone here use this rig? Do you like it? I'm a newbie at the magnet fishing game so any tips or tricks are appreciated. I'm well aware of the safety precautions with these magnets but I'd like to know what you use to cap the magnet when not in use.

I use 50 ft of rope and mine is braided poly, never had a need for the extra rope. You can get a plastic jar lid (like mayo) that will fit over the magnet end and then duck tape a metal washer to the outside of the lid. It will snap on and off and will provide protection. Good luck with ur new toy.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank for the tip! It comes with the 100' length of paracord in the deal and I doubt I will need all that.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
just wonderin ? what a you gonna name your magnet ? i call mine bowser, and when i pitch it out. i say fetch bowser.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I use 50 ft of rope and mine is braided poly, never had a need for the extra rope. You can get a plastic jar lid (like mayo) that will fit over the magnet end and then duck tape a metal washer to the outside of the lid. It will snap on and off and will provide protection. Good luck with ur new toy.

thats a good idea with the plastic jar lid. i like miracle whip myself. had'nt had that in such a long time its just a memory. mmmmmmmmmmm ! specially on ham samiches in the summer time with a big fat slice of bomater and some lettuce.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo, not Miracle Whip! My fiance loves that stuff but for me it's too tangy and overpowers my sammich.
I will hold out on the name until I return from my first outing. Hopefully won't be calling it Bone-crusher :laughing7:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also made a cap using a pvc cap. You can use ur Miracle Whip lid but the brite red peanut butter lids retain that aroma and make your gear bag smell good.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also made a cap using a pvc cap. You can use ur Miracle Whip lid but the brite red peanut butter lids retain that aroma and make your gear bag smell good.:icon_thumleft:

I was looking for a PVC end cap yesterday at Lowes and all I found was a 4" drain cap. Will that type still offer protection considering the drain holes on the flat part which is where the business end of the mag will rest?

038753007304md.jpg

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Would you guys show some pics of your rigs? I've got several industrial magnets and rope. I'm interested in trying my own bottom feeder.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, folks - Stupid question. If you latch onto an immovable metal object with that, do you need to exert more than 350# of force to free the magnet?
HH
dts

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, folks - Stupid question. If you latch onto an immovable metal object with that, do you need to exert more than 350# of force to free the magnet?
HH
dts

If the object is under water and coated with rust and barnacles, probably not. If the entire surface area of the mag is attached to your car door or fridge, probably so. Most magnet sellers show the testing used to determine the pulling force of their magnets.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for a PVC end cap yesterday at Lowes and all I found was a 4" drain cap. Will that type still offer protection considering the drain holes on the flat part which is where the business end of the mag will rest?

View attachment 1626209

I would think that would be a bit heavy. The cap I used was the 3 inch flat end cap. They also sell a cap that is rounded on the end but that would not work. I then took a large washer and taped it to the outside.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-in-dia-P...MIx8rI6aSQ3QIVxZ-zCh0dRwDfEAQYAyABEgK04PD_BwE

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Gopher.

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If you type in "FISHBM" at checkout under the discount section you can get 10% off if you are still looking to buy gear

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont like paracord. IT has a lot of stretch and hurts to pull on it when you get stuck or hung up. Prefer a large diameter poly rope.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read this thread, and I just bought a 400lb magnet with a cone included, thought it might be a good idea as Gopher did. Reading the Mag Fishing Threads, instead of the Para Cord, I did buy 1/4" Polypropylene Rope. I found out that the "working" strength is 1/3 of the "breaking" strength, so this one is rated 157lb working which should give it a 471lb breaking strength, "I think". Now, using the 1/4" rope with a "Palomar" knot that I viewed on a T-Net video, it would not seem that the cone will fit over it all to be flush, that's OK, no big deal there, most every one does have a "cone" over their mag anyway, and I won't be casting the magnet, but dropping straight down pretty much, "to many large rocks here", a question here about the set up though, does anyone tie his rope to a "spring clip" and then attach the clip to the magnet? I do have a 500lb test spring clip, but have not tied anything to anything yet. My reason for this question is thinking you could change from 50' of rope to 100' if you should choose, and could hang the rope to dry less the magnet on end.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I considered the carabiner but then I figured that it's best to have the fewest number of parts possible. Weakest link and all.
You are right about the paracord being less forgiving on the hands than a thicker rope but I found that it is almost impervious to tangling.
On several occasions my paracord looked like a birds nest and even had gotten wrapped up around some bushes, (on land) but it pulled free with no real effort. I also haven't had any issues with stretching so far.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I use one of those extension cord winders for my 100 feet of rope. Works great at keeping tangles out. NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread