Finally...seated bucket lister with a hunting buddy.

NEPA History

Apr 12, 2018
Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I went out with a hunting partner to try and find some door knocking permissions. After receiving two permissions and not finding much, my partner decided to take me to one of his "secret" hotspots. He and others have hunted this place many times over about 7 years, and have found numerous large cents and even a few two cent coins. Only two other silver coin were found in all that time.

I wasn't sure I wanted to go to a place that's been hunted so much, figured we'd have more luck knocking on a few more doors, but since it was getting later and there was no guarantee that we'd get another permission, I'd go along with it. Can't find anything if all you're doing is riding around looking for a place, better to have some more time with the "coil to the soil" as they say..

We got started and I was swinging for about ten minutes when I got my first decent signal, an 83/84 steady on my Ace 400 at about 4 inches. At first, I couldn't find it with my pinpoiner, I already had it out of the hole. When I found it and popped it out of the clod of dirt, I could see immediately that it was round, silver, and small. Shaking while I sprayed it with water, it finally registered in my brain that I had just taken care of two bucket list goals I had for myself..find a seated coin, and/or a silver coin older than the 1899 Barber dime I found last year.

What I pulled out of this heavily hunted field was an 1841 seated Half Dime in great condition - full Liberty showing on the shield. We didn't find anything else after swinging for a good hour after that, but that coin made my year, so I didn't mind! Lol.

I feel very fortunate to have had such a fantastic day out doing something I love to do, with a friend who shares my love of the hobby and was willing to help me find something that I've never found before. A lot of us go out alone detecting, which is fine, but I think it's just more fun to go with someone who "gets" it. Without him taking me to one of his spots, I wouldn't have found this awesome coin and piece of our history. Thanks for hooking me up Chris!👍😎

Attachments

• IMG_20181003_161722.jpg
    IMG_20181003_161722.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20181003_161702.jpg
    IMG_20181003_161702.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20181004_200716.jpg
    IMG_20181004_200716.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 44

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice old silver

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man that was awesome seeing someone check something major off their bucket list! I guess walking thru 6 foot tall cornstalks was worth it huh? Congrats man, that was awesome to witness!

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Any silver coin is a rush, but a seated is a bucket lister for sure! Congrats! Hope you find many more :icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty Well done

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Very nice. Two things I still don't have under my belt. A seated and a half dime. Very nicely done.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin, can I borrow your hunting partner?:tongue3:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, excellent condition, congrats!

I vote a steak dinner for the host!

Last edited:

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice... scratching two things off your list with one find. Congrats to you Mister.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that is an awesome coin! Those day/week/month/year makers are the best!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the seated coins. Nice score. I found one seated the first month or so of getting serious about detecting and have been on a seated drought for 20 months.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread