Finally Somewhere to Dig - Hammered & Iron Knife...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The extreme heat wave has died down after making a new UK Record of just over 40 Degrees C (104). I think the old Record was broken in about 30-40 locations around Britain.
We still have had no rain to speak of, but mid-week Cru'dad scouted a place we could get our spades in. He did 2.5 hours & only put 1 scrappy on the board (included in picture 1), but I was just pleased to hear we could get out again.
We went to a farm that is one of our favourites as it has several Roman Sites on it. The barley stubble had been disced up around the edge of all the fields to act as a fire break. There was still a brand new burnt out straw baler that had set a light & spread across the stumble. Thankfully they got it under control before it hit the woods.
The first couple of hours we blanked other than a musket ball.
Then we moved to Copse Field where I had 3 scrappies & in the next field on the burnt stubble I got 2 buttons.
After nearly 4 hours & OTWBTTC (50 metres from it) Cru'dad got a nice Hammered of Henry III, 1247-72, Ricard (moneyer) of London. (first complete penny of this mint & moneyer, so very pleased with it & it saved the day)
He also found a strange Iron Knife, which I put in the What Is It;

On the way home we went via another farm & was surprised to find all the oilseed rape, plough in & disced down! Had a quick 30 minutes & got another scrappy. At least now we have some options.

1.JPG
2.JPG
1c.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Upvote 26

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The extreme heat wave has died down after making a new UK Record of just over 40 Degrees C (104). I think the old Record was broken in about 30-40 locations around Britain.
We still have had no rain to speak of, but mid-week Cru'dad scouted a place we could get our spades in. He did 2.5 hours & only put 1 scrappy on the board (included in picture 1), but I was just pleased to hear we could get out again.
We went to a farm that is one of our favourites as it has several Roman Sites on it. The barley stubble had been disced up around the edge of all the fields to act as a fire break. There was still a brand new burnt out straw baler that had set a light & spread across the stumble. Thankfully they got it under control before it hit the woods.
Then we moved to Copse Field where I had 3 scrappies & in the next field on the burnt stubble I got 2 buttons.
After nearly 4 hours & OTWBTTC (50 metres from it) Cru'dad got a nice Hammered of Henry III, 1247-72, Ricard (moneyer) of London. (first complete penny of this mint & moneyer, so very pleased with it & it saved the day)

On the way home we went via another farm & was surprised to find all the oilseed rape, plough in & disced down! Had a quick 30 minutes & got another scrappy. At least now we have some options.

View attachment 2038155 View attachment 2038156 View attachment 2038157 View attachment 2038158 View attachment 2038159
Cru', that hammered Henry is in amazing condition! And really like the iron age butter knife. :)

Stay hydrated....nice to hear you've got more places to hunt...

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2038155 View attachment 2038156 View attachment 2038157 View attachment 2038158 View attachment 2038159

Great Finds as usual. You guy are going to melt out there! Nice job

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You both got out detecting! Thats not the weather for field hunting... You came home with a nice Hammered, that's great! Not sure about the knife. You say you're almost 100% sure its a knife. Some kind of slasher?

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congratulations! Glad to hear the heat has abated in GB. Good luck and hope you keep getting out more!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds; I especially like the Henry III. Wish we had coins like that around here. Congrats!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! I can't wrap my head around finding something possibly 2000 years old that isn't rock. πŸ˜„

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the heat. Hope it cools off for you soon. Been hot here in the Midwest but not that hot yet. I love that knife. It's wicked cool and looks very old indeed. Congrats cru'fam. Top shelf as usual.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coins I only dream of!!!! Outstanding!!! Congrats!!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great looking crisp penny, well found Cru'dad.
Very cool knife Cru-hope you'll be able to find some information as in what era it's from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread