Find at the bonfire beach. Ring returned (pic)

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Hunted a local park today that used to allow bonfires anywhere on the beach. They finally stopped that several years ago. Needless to say, the beach has many,many, nails etc... below the surface.
I met a young man named Frankie (12 going on 13, ya know) who greatly helped me by guessing what I was going to find on each dig. I bet you can guess who ended up with the few pieces of shiny clad I found. ;) But I ended up with the gold.
When done, a few of the beach volleyball guys called me over to ask if I got anything good. I showed them the sack of nails and laughed. They actually thanked me for doing a little to get rid of the nails. Hell, I wouldn't play v'ball bare-footed on that beach.
One of them mentioned that one of the v'ballers had lost his wedding band 2 weeks ago and pointed to an area. I replied that I found a wedding band in that area. I gave him my card and he said that if he ran into the guy again, he'd forward the card ( He didn't get the man's name.) I hope he does.
Oh yeah, that band is stamped 14k! First ring find!

Attachments

• BonfireB.jpg
    BonfireB.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,957

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Find at the bonfire beach.

id dig all that trash for that gold ring anyday.glad to see you keep the junk to throw away later. jamey ;D

T

TreasureTales

Looks like a nice haul. If you ever contacted by the guy who lost his wedding ring, maybe you can hint that you'd like to hunt on his property. One good turn deserves another, right!?

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Nice finds. Clean the place up and the good stuff will be easier to find. Way to go...nice ring.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX

can you tone out nails? and only look for silver and gold?

Tsalagi

May 4, 2007
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
discovery 1100/GC-1016a/GC1018

definitely worth all the trash id say nice ring
WTG!

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the ring. Hope you can return it. That would be your 3rd good deed of the day (helping the young, removing trash, returning wedding band). You are my hero. :)

OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs

Sheldius said:
Congrats on the ring. Hope you can return it. That would be your 3rd good deed of the day (helping the young, removing trash, returning wedding band). You are my hero. :)

Dang, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the compliment!

TTales, that was the first thing I thought of. ;D

Steve71, I elim'ed the nails after the first 2 pounds. Enjoyed ridding the beach of the ones I found, but didn't want to make a day of it. I learned alot about elim and dicrim settings on my ACE 250.

OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Re: Find at the bonfire beach. UPDATE!

The volleyball guys found the man and give him my card. Got a phone message from him providing his home number. Called and a woman answered the phone.

Me: "Can I speak to Scott?"
Her: "There's no one here by that name, you must have the wrong number."
(Before she hangs up)
Me: "I must have the name wrong, did you lose a ring?"
Her: "Steve! He found your ring! I'm sorry. What did you say your name was?"
(I read my biz card name to her.) "I'll put him on the phone."
Me: "I guess he's off the S%&* list now."
Her " You don't even know, thank you Tom."
Him: (described the ring to perfection) "Man, will you return it? Do you want reward money?"
Me: "That's why I left my card. MD'ers like to finish a story." Not sure if he understood.

He got on the phone and we yakked, will be returning his wedding band later this week.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Re: Find at the bonfire beach. Update!

Nice job. I am sure it is worth a lot more to him to get off of that never ending s@&%list (I am happily divorced) then the money he spent on it in the first place.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

I think you can say about that gold ring you nailed it

OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs

Ohhh groaaan. :P :P That was so bad, Gregg.

I'll ask the guy for a pic so I can show his happy smile at being off the ---- List.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Great feeling to be able to return a ring to the rightful owner.

Been there done that.

Congratulations on some nice finds.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Lafitte said:
Ohhh groaaan. :P :P That was so bad, Gregg.

I'll ask the guy for a pic so I can show his happy smile at being off the ---- List.

;D ;D ;D

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

Great kharma man. You did a very honorable thing....You have most certainly earned my respect. I hope the good deed comes back on you tenfold my friend!
Happy hunting

~Nash~

OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs

Nashoba, to earn respect is a debt that I hope never to have to repay. (Don't know who said that.) I thank you, sir.
Anyway, don't mean to prolong this thread, but went back to bonfire beach today. I was hoping those good kharma points would net me something. Not!
I did meet a gentleman and his daughter who were out on their first hunt. White's Eclipse I think. The man was an elderly gent, and his daughter's age looked about......I didn't ask. They had the MD, a garden trowel, and a shovel the size of a bus. They were too cute not to talk to!
I tried to give them a few tips, but being a rookie myself, couldn't offer much. Did tell them about all the nails on the beach. Mentioned that'd be a good way to learn their MD. Also mentioned TNet. ;)
I'm gonna have to go back there, racking up good kharma right and left. :)

laughingcrow

Jan 21, 2007
Seattle
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Nice! I wish I could run into someone md'ing around here. My neighborhood is getting pretty boring!

Can you IM me if you want to go out on a hunt sometime this weekend? I also can go for a couple hours tomorrow or friday night!

I live on the Northish side!

Lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread