🥇 BANNER Find of a lifetime! Charleston Slave Tag

newnan76

Apr 20, 2007
Tampa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites DFX, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excalibur II
Haven't been on in a while but figured this was worthy of a post! Got off work with the intention of digging some bottles but that didn't work out so I went to plan B. Went by a site I've found some decent relics and coins at. Wasn't going to detect this spot again and almost wrote it off but they had scraped a lil more dirt so decided to go ahead and beep a lil and see what comes up. Well not even 10 minutes in and my Deus rang a sweet sound. Dug about 1 inch and out popped this square piece of metal and didn't think much of it until I rubbed a lil dirt off and saw a bit of "Charleston" and "Servant" and "1818" at this point I was just in shock, which quickly turned to "OMG" I can't believe what I just found!!!!! An 1818 Charleston Servant Slave Tag. Life doesn't get much better ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465669886.120145.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465669958.811384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465669983.048017.jpg

Upvote 73

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HECK I WOULD HAVE BRUSIES ALL OVER ME FROM DOING CARTWHEELS FROM A FIND LIKE THAT .CONGRATS AND ITS A BEAUTY .

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible piece of history!!!!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a conversation piece .. And a stellar find to boot !!! Congratulations !

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find! Hope there is more there!

Steve

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! Good thing you stopped for a closer look at that. Sweet find!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Glad to see the thread come back to unreal find. A couple posts on the last page were pretty pathetic.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what its about My turn next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what its about My turn next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a big fan of those artifacts , but...

it is...... what it is .....

a Fantastic Find.

daWG :cool:

grey95chevyboy

Jan 5, 2016
Stuart
Detector(s) used
Cz-21 cz-3d cz-5 whites classic 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it would have pleased some of you better if it had been worded "the age of the Americas" but truth is slavery has been a terrible ingredient of man since the beginning as least as far back as the Jews enslavement to Egypt, the Spanish explorers towards the Natives here in America and yes the list could go on and on and does exist even today in many forms. Without pointing fingers at Egyptians,Spaniards,Plantation owners or even the "black man"you mention, it is a sad idea that ANY person at all has had to be owned by another human whether you were one who was hired out wearing a tag for Identification or whether you are a child working in a sweat shop for pennies. The problem with this whole idea of who started it all, really amounts to skating around the issue,thinking that it was not a travesty at all but just a finger pointing session that ignores responsibility whether you are white,black or whatever color your skin is.I am sure that all of our ancestors at one time may have had the ideology that slavery was just a fact of life and acceptable. I would hope that for most of us, we can begin to see the need to not tolerate such views...and I am not a black guy and you probably are not either...thus your viewpoint.

First off congrats what a historic find. I wish this above quote can be voted for best written post of the year.

Allhistory

Jun 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites m-6, coin master, Fischer Gold bug, Cz-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this piece of history. I understand you're excitement, this is a truly significant find. For me, a great grandson of a Dachau victim, slave tags are no different than Nazi concentration camp Tatoos. Important, but sobering. Not sure if smiles should be so easy, or appropriate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread