Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

While this hobby certainly has its highs and lows, perseverance always seems to pay off. A little over a year ago I got my first Safari and like most my initial finds began modest (lots of iron nails and aluminum pull tabs). Then after months swinging the machine something amazing happened- I found my first British pewter buttons from the Revolutionary War. Matching 3rd and 19th Regiment of Foot pewter buttons. My research proved that the British had landed at the site and with Gheenoe's recent discovery of a 23rd Regiment of Foot button, we can confirm occupation by the 3rd, 19th, and 23rd...tasked with capturing Francis Marion, the famed "Swamp Fox". While the British were unsuccessful in Marion's capture, the British ambush did result in the capture of 67 Continentals.

new.jpg

From this point forward I was hooked on detecting and the history of the Revolutionary War. Tons of research later, multiple remote explorations with Gheenoe78, and a new CTX 3030 proved to make the difference today. My find of a lifetime- an ultra-rare SOUTH CAROLINA DRAGOONS pewter coat button! Given that the site was exclusively occupied by the British, it is possible that this button may have belonged to a continental POW! I also managed an unknown pewter cuff that I suspect to be British. Props to Vino for some excellent programming advice and Gheenoe78 for the ID. I will certainly remember this day for a long while!

beach.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

Thanks for looking

UPDATE: Given the provenance of the site as a British staging camp, Troiani's updated classification as a loyalist button, and Robert Silverstein's research on the SC light mounted cavalry, it appears the button MAY in fact be attributed to the SC Loyalists. In the interest of full disclosure, significant mystery still surrounds this particular pewter, and ones like it, however I have yet to see another example with a flag aft of the rider. Still my favorite and most rare find to date! Here's a link to learn more from Silverstein's research http://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/1776-1783american-torybritish-crown-loyalist/ For Don Troiani's take, reference the "Loyalist" section in his book Insignia of Independence.

Last edited:
Upvote 59

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find!!! I wish we had stuff that old here in South Arkansas...d2

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible!!! A banner find if I ever saw one. In awsome shape for pewter
Big Congrats Jon, hard work has payed of..
Now get back out there and find some more really rare Buttons.
George

Last edited:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one from Troiani's book looks more like it to me?
IMG_20150630_172355343.jpg

My BANNER vote is going in! Congrats buddy, thats an amazing find.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome!!! Research and good finds go hand in hand. Looks like you have been doing yours. We have found stuff in places we would have never considered without research. Congrats!!! Banner for sure!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say that ID is no longer the case for the newer book, which does not have it in the SC section, but under the Loyalist one. And I am fairly certain that is also incorrect as the vast majority of these buttons are found in the UK, so it is a British button of unknown origin. It is interesting that some of them did make it to America, but I have no idea why, and neither does anyone else and that is why the ID has changed, and as I said I don't think is right yet.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 364

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is probably also a more likely explanation as to why it was unearthed in a British camp. Still a very nice find though! :thumbsup:

Sorry to say that ID is no longer the case for the newer book, which does not have it in the SC section, but under the Loyalist one. And I am fairly certain that is also incorrect as the vast majority of these buttons are found in the UK, so it is a British button of unknown origin. It is interesting that some of them did make it to America, but I have no idea why, and neither does anyone else and that is why the ID has changed, and as I said I don't think is right yet.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never even heard of that button much less seen one dug. And she's in incredible shape for pewter. Best of all is the story, and I wouldn't be surprised if your POW theory is correct. Banner!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool button, but apparently not fully attributed yet as per Troiani & Kochan's latest book. Big letdown, I'm sure, but still a nice period button.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice.

Congratulations.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! finding a good pewter button is rare, and that is one nice pewter button. Good research too, we'll have to see how it turns out, but it still sounds very interesting. WTG!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter who made it or where it came from......the history and man that wore that is enough for any great conservation piece!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool button, but apparently not fully attributed yet as per Troiani & Kochan's latest book. Big letdown, I'm sure, but still a nice period button.

Quite the contrary, it's an amazing pewter button and the provenance is in the site. I will concede it may be a loyalist/British military button but certainly Rev War and a rare button at that.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible find VMI!!! Big congrats on a very cool button!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing! Well done, that is some serious history you saved. Get out there and find some more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread