Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

While this hobby certainly has its highs and lows, perseverance always seems to pay off. A little over a year ago I got my first Safari and like most my initial finds began modest (lots of iron nails and aluminum pull tabs). Then after months swinging the machine something amazing happened- I found my first British pewter buttons from the Revolutionary War. Matching 3rd and 19th Regiment of Foot pewter buttons. My research proved that the British had landed at the site and with Gheenoe's recent discovery of a 23rd Regiment of Foot button, we can confirm occupation by the 3rd, 19th, and 23rd...tasked with capturing Francis Marion, the famed "Swamp Fox". While the British were unsuccessful in Marion's capture, the British ambush did result in the capture of 67 Continentals.

new.jpg

From this point forward I was hooked on detecting and the history of the Revolutionary War. Tons of research later, multiple remote explorations with Gheenoe78, and a new CTX 3030 proved to make the difference today. My find of a lifetime- an ultra-rare SOUTH CAROLINA DRAGOONS pewter coat button! Given that the site was exclusively occupied by the British, it is possible that this button may have belonged to a continental POW! I also managed an unknown pewter cuff that I suspect to be British. Props to Vino for some excellent programming advice and Gheenoe78 for the ID. I will certainly remember this day for a long while!

beach.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

Thanks for looking

UPDATE: Given the provenance of the site as a British staging camp, Troiani's updated classification as a loyalist button, and Robert Silverstein's research on the SC light mounted cavalry, it appears the button MAY in fact be attributed to the SC Loyalists. In the interest of full disclosure, significant mystery still surrounds this particular pewter, and ones like it, however I have yet to see another example with a flag aft of the rider. Still my favorite and most rare find to date! Here's a link to learn more from Silverstein's research http://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/1776-1783american-torybritish-crown-loyalist/ For Don Troiani's take, reference the "Loyalist" section in his book Insignia of Independence.

Last edited:
Upvote 59
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the location where it was found and what I know about the site, I'd be surprised if it was civilian. The only artifacts we've ever found there were a dozen brown Bess musket balls and three confirmed British rev war pewters.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Congrats! Sounds like A Banner find to me.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never even heard of that button much less seen one dug. And she's in incredible shape for pewter. Best of all is the story, and I wouldn't be surprised if your POW theory is correct. Banner!!

Spot on Bill- stringing together the history behind long lost relics is what most appeals to me about detecting. This hobby/addiction :laughing7: is as much about the discovery in research as it is the finds themselves!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a stunning pewter button. Whatever the Id might be I would consider that one of my best finds if it was under my coil. Congrats on a great recovery. I can't get over the condition of that thing....wow!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that is a stunning pewter button. Whatever the Id might be I would consider that one of my best finds if it was under my coil. Congrats on a great recovery. I can't get over the condition of that thing....wow!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ahab, the major difference in all the available examples is that my rider is holding a flag. As far as construction, far more crude than that of my British regimental finds which leads me to believe it was manufactured here in the colonies. Whether patriot militia or loyalist- can't help but love this pewter.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the historic button find!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite the contrary, it's an amazing pewter button and the provenance is in the site. I will concede it may be a loyalist/British military button but certainly Rev War and a rare button at that.
Sorry I did not mean to diminish your find. I have Troiani's latest book, but had not seen the link to the GW Inaugual page. That is definitely a button that should be cherished, prized, and preserved - as should any American Rev War Button we find. I only meant by "letdown" in that an American button from your home state trumps a loyalist button. Congrats on a fine save. I have dug 7 Rev War pewters in PA and WV, all pretty rough specimens, but I am happy to have saved them from certain destruction from ground action. I only wish I still had the one I found from a Pennsylvania regiment, but $1000 was very enticing at the time. However, it does show the premium on American buttons, even in rough condition.

Attachments

• 3BP Front.jpg.JPG
    3BP Front.jpg.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I did not mean to diminish your find. I have Troiani's latest book, but had not seen the link to the GW Inaugual page. That is definitely a button that should be cherished, prized, and preserved - as should any American Rev War Button we find. I only meant by "letdown" in that an American button from your home state trumps a loyalist button. Congrats on a fine save. I have dug 7 Rev War pewters in PA and WV, all pretty rough specimens, but I am happy to have saved them from certain destruction from ground action. I only wish I still had the one I found from a Pennsylvania regiment, but $1000 was very enticing at the time. However, it does show the premium on American buttons, even in rough condition.

Hey Steve,

No worries at all- clearly any history enthusiast who spends the kind of time we do researching and swinging for relics understands the importance of saving these fragile Rev War pewters. The condition of the mounted rider left me speechless when it came out of the mud and it's my first loyalist button! The reality is these are becoming increasingly scarce and anytime a new variety like this one emerges, its further motivation to get back into the mud.

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
O7 WENT SEARCHING FOR FINDS TODAY AND NOW HAS DRAGOON BUTTONS THAT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY . ALSO BRITISH BUTTONS FROM THE REV WAR PLEASE O7 I MY HEART CANT TAKE ANYMORE. RESEARCH YOU SAY LEAD YOU TO THIS SITE MY GOD THERE FELLA ,YOU DAMN SURE WAS RIGHT. THE DRAGOONS THERE SELF ARE A RARE FIND, BUT THEM DANG BRITISH BUTTONS ARE NOT TO FAR BEHIND. I SAY BANNER THERE 07 AND CONGRATS .

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
O7 WENT SEARCHING FOR FINDS TODAY AND NOW HAS DRAGOON BUTTONS THAT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY . ALSO BRITISH BUTTONS FROM THE REV WAR PLEASE O7 I MY HEART CANT TAKE ANYMORE. RESEARCH YOU SAY LEAD YOU TO THIS SITE MY GOD THERE FELLA ,YOU DAMN SURE WAS RIGHT. THE DRAGOONS THERE SELF ARE A RARE FIND, BUT THEM DANG BRITISH BUTTONS ARE NOT TO FAR BEHIND. I SAY BANNER THERE 07 AND CONGRATS .

Spot on sutphin- my best find to date!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
INTERESTED WITH ANY THING TO DO WITH THE DRAGOONS THEY ARE JUST AN UNREAL FINDS AND THE CONDITION LOOKS AS IF NEW. CONGATULATIONS AND HAS YOUR HEART SLOWED YET.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sonya Henney's Tutu! makes our CW stuff look "modern" by comparison!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the really nice find. Your hard work has paid grant dividends. Good show.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't hit banner before, but the more I look at the research, the more impressed I am. The quality is more than enough on its own, but the history makes it a lock. BANNER

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! Thanks for the link-very useful.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't hit banner before, but the more I look at the research, the more impressed I am. The quality is more than enough on its own, but the history makes it a lock. BANNER

Thanks for you kind comments Eastern Shore- finds like these make those long hours spent both in research and in the field worth it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread