Finding Gold at the Marshall Gold Discovery Site ( Sutter's Mill ) California Gold Rush

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding Gold at the Marshall Gold Discovery Site ( Sutter's Mill ) California Gold Rush

Click here for Video

Ever wanted to find Gold at the spot that started the California Gold Rush in 1848 ?
Well come along for a tour of the Marshall Gold Discovery Park and Sutter's Mill along the banks of the South Fork of the American River.
James Marshall discovered Gold here in Coloma January 24 1848 while constructing a Mill for John Sutter that started the Great California Gold Rush.
Lets see if we can find some Gold just like they did back in 1848 !!!

SG 053

Thanks for watching...

Attachments

• Sutter's Mill.jpg
    Sutter's Mill.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 1

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I think the world events have wiped out the good ole days and NOW it's time to create new "good ole day's" that fits our mode of operation ! It's hard to NOT think of making new friends that have similar like's and creating "our " new "good ole days" ! After all , what good is a dream if you can't chase it ! :coffee2::icon_thumleft:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went there a few times to picnic when we lived in Fair Oaks. A goose was there one time and it grabbed onto the ankle of my oldest daughter when she was maybe 7 years old. I grabbed that goose by the neck and pulled it off, because it wasn't letting go. My daughter was really freaking out over that ordeal.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old days we could dredge around troublemaker rapid the vacationers and rafters hated us lol. When we shut down there was always people applauding. Lots of overburden and giant cobble you would spend more time moving rocks then dredging. Working alone I could get a 1/4 oz a day not a lot, but it added up quickly.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the book "Anybodys Gold" it says that the person who discovered gold in Coloma was one of James Marshalls indians that he had working at the mill... He was called Injun Jim and that story can be found in that book along with some great history. I originally read it as a kid as it was one of my dad's books that he was given as a child. Our family came to California from Spain in the 1570's and according to gramps, they were mining gold all over the valley in the mid 1600's... My family had the land grant that was supposedly bought by John Fremont, though they were never actually paid for it... but that's another story...
Here's another article worth reading -

OP
OP
Smithsgold

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old days we could dredge around troublemaker rapid the vacationers and rafters hated us lol. When we shut down there was always people applauding. Lots of overburden and giant cobble you would spend more time moving rocks then dredging. Working alone I could get a 1/4 oz a day not a lot, but it added up quickly.
Nice !!!!!!!!! The Good Old Days !!!!!

OP
OP
Smithsgold

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the book "Anybodys Gold" it says that the person who discovered gold in Coloma was one of James Marshalls indians that he had working at the mill... He was called Injun Jim and that story can be found in that book along with some great history. I originally read it as a kid as it was one of my dad's books that he was given as a child. Our family came to California from Spain in the 1570's and according to gramps, they were mining gold all over the valley in the mid 1600's... My family had the land grant that was supposedly bought by John Fremont, though they were never actually paid for it... but that's another story...
Here's another article worth reading -
Thanks I'll have to check it out , looks like a good read !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread