Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not have anything gold that I can do an air test with for my Equinox 800, so I am wondering if someone can post what number(s) gold would appear on the VDI? I tried to search youtube but was unsuccessful in getting anything showing the numbers. I am interested in knowing the numbers for specifically coins and possibly jewelry. I am tone deaf so really rely on numbers when hunting.

Thank you in advance for anyone that provide this info

Anthony

Evan in CA

Dec 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello DF The Vid for gold is all over the place. Most wedding bands around 5 grams will be around 12, smaller will go al the down to 4 and bigger will get up 24 the penny signals

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold comes in multiple numbers depending on the purity of the gold, different metals are mixed in to make the 10, 12, 14, and 18k, gold chains usually come in the single digits, and gold rings anywhere between 9 and 25. If it is a repeatable signal dig it. People try to notch out pull tabs, when they do they are notching out some gold.

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Evan and Treasure_Hunter. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Recently, I have come across two or three really solid repeating 9s and 11s on the Equinox and didnt dig them just because of videos I have seen of people discriminating out those numbers. I havent dug anything gold in a very long time and its not something I am really looking for, but it would be a pleasant surprise to find something gold. Now I will have to try to locate those signals again.

Do you know if gold coins will ring up in that same range (upto 24ish) too? I would really rather have a gold coin then jewelry. And honestly, where I hunt, a coin would be more likely then jewelry too.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Evan and Treasure_Hunter. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Recently, I have come across two or three really solid repeating 9s and 11s on the Equinox and didnt dig them just because of videos I have seen of people discriminating out those numbers. I havent dug anything gold in a very long time and its not something I am really looking for, but it would be a pleasant surprise to find something gold. Now I will have to try to locate those signals again.

Do you know if gold coins will ring up in that same range (upto 24ish) too? I would really rather have a gold coin then jewelry. And honestly, where I hunt, a coin would be more likely then jewelry too.

Thanks again.

Anthony
The way I see it I would rather dig a thousand pull tabs than walk away from a $25,000 diamond ring because I was too lazy to dig it. I have dug many gold rings and some didn't appear to be gold rings at first, the shape, size and possible trash metal under or close can throw off the reading. If it isn't iron I dig it.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I plotted VID of the Nox 800 w weight of gold ring, something like 60 now, and there is a statistically significant positive correlation between ring weight and VID; the heavier the ring the higher the VID number in my case from "3" to "24", so far.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again.

Anthony
Like TH says, gold seekers have to dig the most trash since lead and aluminum will often read the same as gold objects. There is still no detector made that can discriminate out gold from lead and aluminum, just a fact of our obsession. Coins are usually close to 22K but the alloys can be different giving different readings. Good luck on the gold coin, I have only found one in 52 years of detecting, and it had once been a jewelry piece. More gold coins seem to be found on the west coast. Some Spanish gold in FL, but also rare. I have several friends who have also hunted for fifty years, none of them has ever found a gold coin. You have been at it for a while so you must have patience, but gold seekers need the utmost patience digging lots of junk. Now go out and find that double eagle tomorrow!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread