Finding wheat pennies and an IH penny, but no silver or other coins

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once you start hefting that monster around, you'll miss using the Nox! :laughing7: problem with the nox (I think)

Once you start hefting that monster around, you'll miss using the Nox! :laughing7:
That may be true, but I have a swing harness that I used when I was using an AT Pro with a big Nel coil. The display and the good target ID reputation of the CTX sold me on the idea of selling the nox. In my opinion it does really help with the nox to have good ears and hunt in 50 tones. I have some high freq hearing loss so that was difficult for me. I am hoping the more visual CTX will help me. We will see. One think the Nox did for me, it forced me to learn a heck of a lot more about metal detecting than any other detector I had used before buying the nox.

Kevvorush

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2021
Hello,
I have a Minelab CTX3030 that I got used, and I'm a newbie. I have access to a homestead where the old house (which was recently demolished) was built in the 1860's or 1880's. I have found a handful of coins, but only pennies. No nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, etc. I believe the wheat pennies and IH penny were all around 3-4" deep. I really thought I'd find some old silver coins, but so far, none. I've mostly used the Old Coin Pattern as described by Andy Sabisch in the CTX 3030 handbook. I have used the 6", 11" & 17" coils. Most of what I found was with the 6" coil, because I can pinpoint the easiest with it. (I do have a pinpointer, but for whatever reason, it's not been behaving for me).

If anybody here has had a similar experience in finding only pennies where you 'know' there is other coins, I would really appreciate your advice. It's discouraging to go several times and not find what I fully expect is still there waiting.

NOTE: My main interest is old coins. I've been wondering if I should try a different metal detector, but I think the CTX 3030 is supposed to be an excellent detector, at least in experienced hands.
I’ve only used the e-trac but have had similar experiences. Once I learned the machine and newer ways to tweak the settings I’ve been able to find much more but silver is proving difficult to locate. I’m not giving up though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions